Heading to... Texas?

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thanks to all who made suggestions on my post about where to take our next vacation. We're still debating about what to do in the late January/early February time frame, but for now, we've got our sights set on a smaller vacation.

For a while now, we've been discussing taking a trip down to New York City in December. Even though I've been to the city many times, I've never been at Christmastime.

But then, earlier this week, Michael said, out of nowhere, "What if we go to San Antonio for Christmas?" And, well... he may have been partially joking, but the idea kind of stuck. It would be kind of nice to go to Texas for Christmas. Not actually FOR Christmas, but in early December. During the Christmas season, you see.

As much as I like New York City, and even though I still want to get there at Christmas time, we are so.much.closer to NYC. It's a super short flight, we could drive if we had to, and essentially, we could go at any time. Any year.

But going to Texas? That's not something we would just do.

We were originally considering San Antonio as a "stop" for one of our January/February vacation options, but we figured... why not just go to Texas for a long weekend in December? For us, it's no further a flight than the one to Las Vegas, and we certainly managed that earlier this year.

After chatting with my lovely Texas friends (whom I've never actually met in person, but who knows, maybe I can convince them to drive to Austin from Dallas? It's only.three.hours. I'm just saying), we rounded out the idea even more. Not only would we visit San Antonio, but we'd also spend a few nights in Austin.

And it just keeps getting more and more tempting.

So, although we have yet to book anything, we are seriously considering heading on down to the Lone Star State.

I just have one question: Are cowboy boots and hats required? :)

6 comments:

Michelle MGD September 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

I went to San Antonio with my best friend (who is from TX but had only been there 1 time) the week of Thanksgiving and it was awesome. The River Walk was decorated for the holidays but they go even more all out closer to Christmas.

I had such a blast in S.A. We took a bus tour of the missions which was really neat. We stayed just about 1 mile from The River Walk so we could walk to our hotel and then back for more partying. So many great restaurants, shops and bars. We were only there for 2 nights but I had such a good time. I would love to go back and spend even more time there since we didn't really explore much of the city.

Miss Steggerda September 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

The river walk in S.A. is B - E - U - TIFUL at that time.

While you're in Austin, you'll have to check out Zilker Park, which is also decorated for the winter... although, celebrating Christmas in 60 degree weather might seem a little odd at that time.

There are also TONS of great restaurants downtown that are walking distance from almost every hotel.

Needless to say, Austin won't let you down!!!

Laura September 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM  

I'm a follower, originally from your "road to the aisle" blog and I'm from Texas....Austin actually! It would probably be a climate shock(!) but it is very nice here during christmastime. I agree Zilker Park is nice that time of year, they have "The Trail of Lights" and it's a mile long trail of nothing but Christmas decorations/lights/scenes. They also have this HUGE Christmas tree that you can go under and spin around and get really dizzy...and if you're like me, get sick. The riverwalk in S.A. is nice too, you can take a tour on a boat or stroll along on the sidewalks. There's so much to do, and I hope you make your way this way!
P.S. They are not REQUIRED but make a fantastic want on your list for Santa! ;)

Kate September 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

I live in Austin, and personally think it's a great place! If you like good food and live music, this is the place for you. San Antonio is only an hour drive, and it's a great place to see too. I second everything the previous commenter says. If you're looking for a break from the cold, Texas is a great choice. We Texans will be complaining about the winter weather (we're lucky if it makes it to the 40s in December), but I'm sure it'll feel great to you!

Amanda October 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

I've been twice, but just for a day. It's definitely a place to which I'd like to return and sounds like a great winter trip!

Amanda October 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM  

As a born and raised Texan now transplanted to Maryland, I have to definitely agree with the other posts about the beauty of the lights on the Riverwalk and in Austin that time of year! In Austin, check out Homeslice Pizza on Congress. If you have time, take a drive to Fredericksburg (west of both cities, about an hour's drive). Have fun! Oh, and boots and hats are not required, but you will see a lot of them.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP