Tortilla Soup with Black Beans

Sunday, September 27, 2009

I have had this recipe bookmarked since last January. I honestly have no idea how I made it through the last three winter months without making this, but it's a damn shame.

The weather for this weekend was forecasted to be pretty cool, so I thought--what better soup to kick off soup/stew/chowder season? Plus, it's super easy, so it was perfect to make on a Friday night after work. The whole thing literally came together in 10 minutes. Can't beat that.

IMG_3057rs by you.
This soup is fabulous. I love it. In fact, I love it so much that we polished off the leftovers for dinner during the football game tonight. And I'm already planning on making it again this week so that I can bring it for lunches at work. Do yourselves a favor--make this soup!
IMG_3059rs by you.
Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
(Source: On My Mind, Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)

Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomato sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels (I used a 15 oz. can of corn, also low sodium)
- 1 cup water (I accidentally omitted this with no ill effects)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Mexican cheese, for sprinkling on top
- Dried or fresh cilantro, also for topping

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce, beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.

2. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and, if desired, more chips. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.

9 comments:

Katie September 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

*drooling* Yes. I will be making this...

Unknown September 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

Best soup ever! Have you tried LJ's leftover version with scambled eggs??? YUM!

kylee September 28, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

This reminds me of the mexican gumbo at qdoba.

This inspired me to make some, though I was missing some things and had a few others, so it was a my own version...still good though. Great for work lunches, as it keeps the hunger away all afternoon.

mariehahn13 September 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Wow, I'll definitely be trying this one :) Thank you for sharing!

Lauren September 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Hi! I read often but never have commented! You inspired me to try this recipe and I was NOT disappointed. I added some rice and chicken and my husband and friends LOVED it. Keep the fabulous recipes and interesting blogs coming!

Michelle MGD September 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

This looks amazing! And the weather here in Northern California has gone from 100+ degrees to overcast and chilly which is perfect for soup!

Anonymous,  September 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

I have followed you since way before your wedding and just love your blogging. I have made several recipes you have put on your blog and every single one of them have been nothing less than yummy! On monday I logged on and seen the tortilla soup, and went straight to the store. Thank you for a new recipe for the winter months, my husband loved it!!

Heather October 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

I'm glad you all like it! It's so adaptable to your tastes... easy to make adjustments. :) I did make a second batch earlier this week. In fact, I'm having it for dinner (AGAIN!) tonight! Love this soup.

Rachel November 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

Made this soup for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. I did add shredded chicken to mine. First time I made it in the crock pot, made the house smell super yummy. Tonight I was in a hurry and made it on the stove. Both ways are delicious! Best part is my husband loves it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP