Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Now that we are 3+ weeks into September, I am completely and totally immersed in FALL. I want apples and pumpkin and spice. I want jeans and boots and jackets and hoodies.

Last week, I was perusing food blogs looking for a nice autumnal recipe to make as a dessert for a get-together with my girlfriends from college this weekend. I came across these pumpkin cookies, and I was intrigued by the addition of butterscotch chips. I quickly decided to give them a go.

IMG_3066rs1 by you.
Straight out of the oven, these cookies are light and fluffy, and really cake-like. The butterscotch flavor really complements the pumpkin, even though I wasn't sure what to expect. Completely cooled, they are flavorful, moist, and not too sweet. I even ate one for breakfast. :)

Mine didn't come out as pretty as Joy's, as my butterscotch chips were all mixed into the middle of the cookies instead of sitting exposed on top. Also, I had a few problems with some of the chips falling out of the bottom of the cookies, but that wasn't really a problem, per se (more chips for me). :) These cookies come out quite large (again, not a problem for me!), so reduce the amount of batter used for each cookie if you'd like smaller ones--and don't forget to reduce baking time.

I made a few changes to this recipe, as I wanted more cookies (I also sent some with Michael to give to his family), and made some additions (nutmeg and cloves), and substitutions (applesauce for some of the oil). Click through to Joy's blog for the original recipe.

Now... off to girls' night!

Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies
(Source: Adapted from Joy the Baker)

Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used homemade, but store-bought is fine)
- 1/4 cup canola or corn oil
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips

Directions:
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.

2. Stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in a medium bowl and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until smooth and lightened in color, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.

4. On low speed, mix the applesauce, oil, pumpkin, and vanilla until blended. Mix in the flour mixture to incorporate it. Mix in the chips.

5. Using an ice cream scoop with a 1/4-cup capacity, scoop mounds of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies at least 2 1/2-inches apart. You could also simply use a 1/4-cup measuring cup if you don’t have a scoop. Use a thin metal spatula to smooth and flatten the rounds.

6. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until the tops feel firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, about 12-16 minutes. Cool them on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes approximately 30 cookies.

1 comments:

Amy September 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM  

Here is a tip I learned from Paula Deen--any time you are using chips or fruit like bluberries in baking--toss them with a little bit of flour and they don't sink!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP