Homemade Applesauce

Thursday, September 10, 2009

One of our most favorite things about fall and our frequent apple picking (and one of the reasons we go through so many apples!) is THE APPLESAUCE.

We started making our own a few years ago, and it RUINED store-bought applesauce for me. Like, completely. I can't even eat the stuff now. Anyway, prior to making it myself, I never realized how easy it is to do.

And it is just SO good. We like to leave it a little bit on the chunky side. I also like to heat it up in the microwave for a minute or so before eating. Tastes like a sinful dessert, but in reality, it has no added sugar! That's right--just apples, cinnamon, and a little bit of water. Doesn't get any easier than that!

Here is the "recipe":

IMG_1279rs by you.
First, we use our cool little apple peeler/corer/slicer to prepare all of the apples. Pretty cool, right? We got this useful gadget at Linens N Things (before it closed, obviously).
IMG_1282rs by you.
The result is these apple slice "spirals." I quarter these so that the apples are smaller slices.
IMG_1290rs by you.
Throw all of the apple slices into a big pot.
IMG_1292rs by you.
Add 1/4-1/2 cup of water (depending on how many apples you're using), and then cover. Place over high heat until you hear boiling/bubbling sounds. Stir. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
IMG_1299rs by you.
The apples will start to break down, like this.
IMG_1323rs by you.
And then they break down even further, like this! This is the way we like it, so at this point, it's done. If you like smooth applesauce, you can let this cool and then run it through your food processor. Or you can use a potato masher to try to get rid of some of the bigger lumps.

At this point, I stir in a healthy dose of cinnamon, and tada! Done. Let it cool before moving it into storage containers. Store in the fridge.
IMG_1327rs by you.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Samantha September 10, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

This can be frozen too! My mom would always make homemade applesauce and I loved pulling it out of the freezer in the winter/past apple season.

I always add a little spoonful of sugar or splenda after cooking it/when it is served. Yum.

Jamie September 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

How do you freeze it Samantha? Just in little containers and defrost in the fridge?
How long does it last in the fridge? I've found that store bought stuff goes bad really quickly once it's opened!

Samantha September 10, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

We would just put it in little tupperware-type containers (they make some specifically for freezing too) and stick it in the freezer. It can be defrosted in the fridge if you plan far enough ahead, or just in the microwave. I like it warm, like Heather, so the microwave works out well.

Craxi September 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Use cinnamon hearts (the kind for cookie decorating) to make it pink and cinnamony. Yummy.

You can also freeze in ziplock baggies.

Nicole September 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Where do you guys pick your apples at? Gabe and I are thinking of going but there are so many places around-just wondered where you've been and where you recommend! Thanks!

Kari September 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

Non apple related--your Bills better put shame onto the Pats tomorrow night! I'm depending on them!

Anonymous,  September 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

I am also wondering what place you recommend to go apple picking?

Anonymous,  September 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Hi Heather!!
Question: I bought the same apple peeler from Bed Bath and Beyond on Saturday and when peeling my apples yesterday, I had so much trouble!! I ruined about 5 apples trying to make apple crisp. My issue seems to be with the corer...it just won't slice through my apples correctly. Do you ever have problems with yours? Do you know what I may be doing wrong? I plan on taking it back,unless of course, you can give me a little help!

Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP