The World is Ours

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tonight, we tackled #50 on my "101 in 1001" list: Start a newlywed map.

We've been talking about doing this for several weeks now, but as with pretty much everything I do, I had to research it to death. What size map should we get, what color map, what frame would we use, what color map tacks? We debated, we procrastinated, and then... we finally pulled the trigger.

Then, we had all of the supplies, and all we had to do was actually make the thing. And tonight, we decided it would be our after-dinner project. We are thrilled with how it turned out! I just want to keep going into our den to look at it.

IMG_2143rs by you.
Never heard of newlywed map? Well, I hadn't either, until I saw this blog post. I thought it was such a cool idea, so I sent the link to Michael, and he agreed. We definitely wanted to make one for ourselves.

The gist is... you mount a map on foam core, frame it, and then stick tacks into all of the cities you've traveled to together. Of course, you display it on your wall. I love maps as art anyway, so I'm happy to put a map up in our house. The tacks marking our travels really just add a personal touch to it.
IMG_2137rs by you.
Jordan lists out supplies and prices, but ours cost a bit more than hers for some reason. Plus, we framed it, which she didn't do in her example, so that was an added expense as well.

Here is our final supply list as well as costs:
- 36"x 24" world map (executive version) from Mapcenter.com = $12.99
- 1 box medium map tacks (black) from Mapcenter.com = $4.79
- 36"x 24" piece of foam core = $7.50 (with 50% off coupon at Michaels)
- 36"x 24" black frame, glass removed = $27 (on sale, 55% off at Michaels)
- Elmer's spray adhesive = $3 (with 40% off coupon at Michaels)

Total cost for this project, including shipping, tax, etc. was approximately $60-65.

Note: For the foam core, I could not find a piece that was 36"x 24". All of the ones I found were 30"x 20", which is obviously way too small. What I did find, though, was that the foam core trifold display boards (the ones with the big board in the middle with two smaller boards that fold out on the sides) had a 36"x 24" piece as the middle part, so I bought one of those and then we cut the side panels off.

For more information and instructions, be sure to visit Jordan's detailed post.

Obviously there are a lot of options for you to make this map your own--varying types of maps and colors, different map tacks, and endless frame options. Have fun with it!
IMG_2138rs by you.
As you see from the photos I've posted, all of our map tacks are currently in the United States (at least our Hawaii ones put us outside of the continental U.S.!)... now that we have this map, we want to travel even more! Every time we go somewhere new, we'll be able to add another tack.

Also, after we have kids, we plan to use a different color map tack to mark the places we've gone as a family. I think our kids will probably get a kick out of being able to see all the places they've been. We hope to still take trips as a couple (and leave the kids at home!), so we'll keep the black tacks for marking those solo trips as well.

It's nice to think about starting this now, and having the map stick around in our family for a long, long time. So I guess it's best to not really call it a "newlywed map." I think "family travel map" is a better fit.

Go forth... travel... and start your own maps! :)

18 comments:

Cheerful Homemaker September 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

What a cool idea! We haven't been too many places yet because of my job, but I'd love to do something like that.

Julia September 16, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

Absolutely love this! Ours would have very few tacks, though :( Need to get working on that!

Sara September 17, 2009 at 1:06 AM  

my hubby would LOVE this, although we probably would have to use some different colors, as his job in the military has taken him to ALOT of countries that I will probably never see (and i'm ok with that) :-D.

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} September 17, 2009 at 4:09 AM  

I love this! We bought a map ages & ages ago with the intention of doing this too but using 3 colours of pins; 1 for me, 1 for him & 1 for where we have gone / go together.

This has inspired me to get on with it! We did also get a magnetic one with arrows but not quite the same as a foam map with pins.

Heather September 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Gaynor--We thought about doing the three colors of pins like you describe (and we'd have many more places marked off if we had done that!), but we ultimately decided to just stick with the places we go together. Hopefully, by the time we're old and gray, we'll have plenty of map tacks! :)

But yes, you can essentially do whatever you want with it! I also read over at one of Jordan's posts that couples sometimes use one color for the places they've been, and one color for places they dream of going. Obviously, once they complete a trip, they can change the color of the tack that marks one of their destinations.

I think that's a pretty cool idea, too, but our problem is that we'd have way too many "dream destination" tacks. :)

Renee September 17, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

Really cute idea! We haven't traveled that much either, but I bet this would inspire us to travel. Maybe we'll give this a shot :)

Cara,  September 17, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

It's nice to see a finished one. We have a map and pins. My husband is building a shadow box for our map out of some antique looking wood. It should look nice when it's finished...one day :)

Becky September 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Love this idea!!! We love to travel a lot so this will be great for us!

Megan September 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Love it. We travel so much that it would be really fun. I think I'd have to do it from when we started dating, though, b/c we did more travel then :)

Lorena September 17, 2009 at 11:03 AM  

This is such a great idea! My husband has been itching to put art up on the walls, and im sure he will LOVE this idea. Thanks Again!

Lynsey Kaye September 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

What an awesome idea. We have traveled a few places together, but we have gone back to the same places a couple of different times so that would limit our tacks. :)

And Megan, I instantly thought of you whe I saw this post (just throwing that out there incase you come back to check these comments...?). :)

Amy September 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

So cool I do Google Maps with our travels but this is awesome, I might make them for our siblings for Christmas presents! I just bought a great vinyl decal that would look great with them. It says If you want to go fast, go alone, if you want to go far go together.

Jenn and Neena Mae September 20, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

This is an awesome idea. Jake and I must do make one!

Daugenet September 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

One thing you could try instead of the foam core would be to get some cork tiles from either a craft store or lowes/depot. Looks nice!

Andy in Canada,  November 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

Hi Heather! I love your blog from RTTA to now! My husband & I plan on doing this map project too, but I have a question (kind of trivial...lol). The black map tacks look great on the map, we definitely want those....but what colour do you think would look good for the family map tacks?? I cannot decide! What colour do you plan on using for your family trip map tack? Thank you!!

Anonymous,  December 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Do you recommend laminating the map? Love this idea!

Heather December 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Anonymous--Our map is not laminated, but you certainly could laminate it if you want to. Personally, I like how our map is not glossy/shiny. I would think that a "plastic" look would take away from it as art. But that is just my opinion!

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} May 11, 2011 at 5:18 AM  

Despite leaving a comment on this post almost 2 years ago, we only just got round to making our map!

We did go with the 3 pin colours so we wouldnt exclude my husbands travel while in the Air Force and I totally love our map, its making want to visit the continents with no pins though!

1st Anniversary {Paper} Travel Map

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP