Low-Fat Pumpkin Muffins

Monday, October 12, 2009

On Saturday, we went to visit my cousin and her brand-new baby girl. I wanted to bring her food, in the form of baked goods that could easily be frozen. I didn't think she'd appreciate me bringing a bunch of junk food into the house, so I decided to bake for her like I'd want someone to bake for me--in a manner that is low-fat, but delicious.

I started by making her a loaf of low-fat zucchini bread, which is a tried and true favorite. But given that it's fall and all, I wanted to make something pumpkin, too. Pumpkin bread immediately came to mind. I have a KILLER pumpkin bread recipe that has been in my family for years, but the amount of oil and sugar used in it is ridiculous. Of course, it's wonderful because of that, but I haven't even made it in several years because I'm afraid of what it'd do to my hips. Instead, I hit Google to try to find a healthier alternative.

img 001rs by you.
I ultimately decided to bake the batter in muffin pans instead of bread pans (just for something different), and it baked up a lot more quickly as a result, which was nice. The end result was really flavorful, and is perfect for fall. My only nitpicky complaint was that they were slightly chewy, but that is to be expected with low-fat baked goods. I think it's important to note that I've often found that sweet breads like this actually taste better and have better texture if you let them sit for a day/overnight before eating them. Since I was taking these to my cousin's, I didn't have the opportunity to do that, but I'll be trying that next time! I'm sure I'll see an improvement in the chewiness department.

Anyway, if you're in the mood for pumpkin goodies without the guilt, give these guys a try!
img 012rs by you.
Low-Fat Pumpkin Muffins
(Source: Adapted from About.com)

Ingredients:
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin cups with cooking spray.

2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or you can whisk by hand), mix together the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, water and eggs and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients.

3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring well to combine. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Sprinkle a bit of extra sugar and spices on top if desired (optional).

4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the pumpkin muffins comes out clean.

Makes about 16 muffins.
img 009rs by you.

6 comments:

Vanessa October 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

Great post - I'll definitely try these!

freeasabird April 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

Mine are in the oven right now. They smell delicious!

Maggie July 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

I just made these! I added a crumb topping and a few substitutions. They are fantastic!!!

http://t-h-i-n-g-s-i-l-o-v-e.blogspot.com/2010/07/100ish-calorie-pumpkin-muffins.html

Lindsay November 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

This is very yummy, I made the bread version. The smell while it was baking was delicious :)

Laurie March 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM  

I swapped out about half the white sugar for brown, and sprinkled Turbinado sugar on top before baking. Absolutely delicious! A great new staple for me and only 3 Weight Watchers points too. Thanks for the great recipe! They're healthy enough for breakfast but they taste like dessert.

Anonymous,  May 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM  

I just made these muffins. They are great tasting! Very moist. Note: The only spice I used for my muffins - cinnamon

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP