Low-Fat Zucchini Bread

Monday, August 25, 2008

I spent the evening in the kitchen.

When I got home, I immediately started working on a cookie cake for a potluck lunch at work tomorrow. I used the excellent Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, but spread it into a pizza pan. I baked it until it looked done and took it out. It came out pretty well, but I'd probably bake it for a little less time next time I make it.

Later on, once it cooled, I actually decorated it with buttercream frosting, using my new cake decorating skills. I would love to show a photo of it (it came out so awesome!) but I decorated it with a company logo, and I don't want the whole blogging world to know where I work. So you'll just have to imagine an extremely well decorated cookie cake in your heads! :)

On Saturday, we went to a local farm market and bought an absolutely HUGE (seriously, it's about the size of our dog) zucchini for only $0.50. I decided I should start using it, so I shredded some to use in zucchini bread. The recipe is below. The three cups needed for the recipe barely made a dent in this thing. We'll definitely be eating more zucchini this week.

Before tonight, I had never actually made zucchini bread before. I didn't have a tried and true recipe, so I adapted one I found on recipezaar.com. I made note of what I changed in the recipe below. It came out really well! It's moist and delicious, and best of all, low fat! I'm all about decreasing the guilt without decreasing the taste (when possible). Try it out!


Low-Fat Zucchini Bread
(Adapted from RecipeZaar)

Ingredients:

- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cups all purpose, and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
- 2-3 cups zucchini, grated or finely diced
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together all ingredients.
2. Pour into 2 loaf pans.
3. Bake for 45-55 minutes (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).

1 comments:

Sarah August 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

That looks awesome. THanks for these recipes. Those chocolate chip cookies are to die for.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP