Thanksgiving Eve

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

People are traveling, friends and family are gathering, and tomorrow, the entire country will eat ourselves sick. But tonight? Tonight is the "biggest drinking night of the year."

Or so I've been told.

The bar scene is not my thing. Don't get me wrong; it used to be. But I was pretty much over it the moment I graduated from college. I guess I felt like I had spent the better part of four years living in bars, so I had worked it out of my system. That, and my new full-time job certainly put a damper on things.

These days, I don't enjoy bars. I like to get together with friends at our homes. You have to admit, there are a lot of advantages.

There is ample parking, and it's FREE. Drinks are cheaper, and easier to come by. There's food. You can actually hear each other when you're talking. You can wear comfortable clothes (even pajamas, if you wish). And, if you're the "lucky" host (or crashing for the night), you can drink as much as you want and don't have to worry about driving home.

Ahhh. Adulthood. I love it.

Plenty of adults still do the "Thanksgiving Eve" partying, and that's cool. As it turns out, a lot of our friends still do the "Thanksgiving Eve" partying. Still, I choose to stay away from the over-crowded, rowdy bars.

Tonight, we'll have dinner at home (yay pumpkin ravioli), go to a movie (The Blind Side), take a quick trip to Target before it closes, then come home and relax. I'll probably have a glass of wine, and we'll go to bed pretty early.

Ahhh. Adulthood. I love it.

But it makes me feel old.

4 comments:

Amanda November 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

I'm right there with you. I love having people over instead of going out. I'm curling up with a book and perhaps some hot chocolate tonight.

Anna November 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

I've actually read that the reason it's a big drinking night is not because of people wanting to go out and have a great time, but rather so many people are depressed and frustrated with their situations in life that they find their ways to bars to deal with everything. It's sad that people may feel the need to drink to deal with their issues, but I can understand how the Holiday Season is especially hard for a lot of us.

Thankfully, no one I know deals this way, but apparently a lot of people do. :(

Anna November 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Oh, and I'm totally with you on the advantages of drinking at home. The other way is just so not worth it anymore!

Vanessa November 26, 2009 at 3:59 AM  

Me too... I hate the bar scene! Overpriced drinks, noise, the smell! I love dinner parties with friends and entertaining. And going out has always been disappointing on the food front! At home you eat so much better.
I don't think it's old - it's civilised! ........... and I'm probably deluded! Haha!
Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP