Forward

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I have this daily desk calendar. It may be a Barack Obama calendar. *ahem* OK, so it is a Barack Obama calendar. The page for each day contains a quote from our president. My mother-in-law got it for me for Christmas, and I'm enjoying it so far. Obviously, some days' quotes are better than others. Like today.

"Our future is what we build it to be."
- Barack Obama, March 23, 2009

I'm not one to believe in destiny. Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I sometimes like to believe there is a plan for our lives. I like to believe there is a purpose.

But I also don't believe that we can sit idly by and our lives will unfold as they should. Perhaps there is a current leading the way, but still, I'm the one steering the ship.

I hate to hear people complain about situations in their lives. I'm not innocent; I do it, too. But when someone is miserable in their current state of living, my question is always, "Well, what are you doing to change it?" I know that often times, change is not easy to come by. But if the "American Dream" has taught us anything, it is that anything is possible.

Conan O'Brien actually said something to this effect on his last show on Friday. He said,

"All I ask of you--especially young people--is one thing. Please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism. It's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen."

It's not a unique message, but it's a good one. You have to work hard. You have to push through. You have to make some tough decisions. You have to put in the time and effort. It's not usually fun. In the end, though, you will end up in a better place. Maybe it's not exactly where you hoped you'd end up, and maybe you didn't achieve exactly what you set out to achieve. But you will have made changes in your life and you will be better for it. And if you're not, keep working and keep pushing, because change will come again.

Lately, we have made moves to make some pretty significant changes in our lives. At this moment, for these particular changes, we've done all that we can do. It is during the "wait and see what happens" period that I believe in the plan. We've played all of our cards and now our future is in the hands of something or someone else. And it is now that I turn to the mantra, "What is meant to be will be." We've set the wheels in motion. We've made the choices, and now we wait for the outcome. If this doesn't work out, we'll press on and try another route.

Because the future will be what we build it to be.

I hope it's a good one.

7 comments:

The PeachPost January 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

What a powerful post!!! I don't know what you're going through, but it sounds like you have learned a wonderful lesson. When you are waiting on something to happen, the waiting can really be a pain. But you just have to continue to believe that something great is going to happen for you.

Vanessa January 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

Very very true. How enigmatic though, on the subject of changes. Whatever it is, I hope it's good and that it goes your way!

Wishing on stars January 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

This is a really great post. Would you mind if I link to it in my blog? (not that I know how to do that but if I figure it out)

I feel like I'm always complaining lately how things are turning out. And this really helps. Thanks

Heather January 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

Thanks, guys.

Wishing--Of course; go ahead and link to it!

The Jesse January 27, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

what a great post - and so timely for situations in my own life right now. i love the obama quote you posted, thank you!

brooke @ claremont road January 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

Amen. I wrote about what Conan said on my blog, too. Cynicism gets you nowhere -- kindness can take you anywhere!

Dana January 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Keep the Obama quotes coming.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP