Gingersnap Trifle

Monday, January 18, 2010

I love trifles. They are a perfect dessert option because 1) they are pretty, 2) they are tasty, and 3) they are easy. And really... what's not to love about that?

This particular trifle was "invented" by our friend, Greg, a couple of years ago. He served it to us at a SuperBowl party and I consequently stole the idea and have made it a few times since then. It doesn't get much more simple than this--pudding, cool whip, and gingersnap cookies.


Taking another cue from good ol' Greg, I make this even simpler by purchasing pre-made pudding. Yes, the kind in the little single-serve cups. (I know.) I buy them when they're on sale for $1 per 4-pack, and it's just so much easier than fiddling with making pudding. I don't even like to mess with the instant kind, because I always find that the consistency is a little lumpy looking so it's not as pretty! Take my word for it.

You can also make this dessert pretty light by using sugar free, fat free pudding, and fat free cool whip.

My favorite part is how the layers of gingersnaps in the middle get all soft and chewy. I'm not a big fan of gingersnaps in general but I love them in this trifle. Get thee a trifle bowl and make this... STAT!

Gingersnap Trifle

Ingredients:
- 6 cups vanilla pudding (or 12 single-serving cups)
- 4 cups caramel pudding (or 8 single-serving cups)
- 2 (8 oz.) containers of cool whip, softened
- 30-40 gingersnap cookies (depending on size)

Directions:
1. Spoon three cups of vanilla pudding into the bottom of the trifle bowl, and spread into an even layer.

2. Place a single layer of gingersnap cookies on top of the pudding.

3. Spread one container of cool whip in an even layer on top of the cookie layer.

4. Place another layer of gingersnap cookies on top of the cool whip.

5. Top cookie layer with all 4 cups of the caramel pudding and spread evenly.

6. Spread the other container of cool whip on top of the caramel pudding.

7. Place another layer of gingersnap cookies on top of the cool whip.

8. Spoon the remaining three cups of the vanilla pudding on top of everything and spread evenly.

9. Top with a final layer of gingersnap cookies for decoration.

6 comments:

Katie January 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

I love my trifle bowl. This looks fantastic and I haven't seen a recipe like this for a trifle before! I'll definitely have to make this soon!

Franzi,  January 19, 2010 at 7:02 AM  

Unfortunately, we don't have anything like Cool Whip here in Germany :( are there any other options? The recipe sounds delicious and I really want to try it - but real whipped cream, which I guess would be a substitute, kinda makes it really heavy??
*Help :) *

MB January 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

This trifle looks delicious!!

And I second you on the instant pudding. Blech. Not even a close second to cook & serve.

Heather January 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Franzi-- No Cool Whip?? AHHHH!

I'm trying to think of a good alternative but am coming up empty. Do you have the whipped cream in a can that is sold in the refrigerated section? Because that comes in a fat free version, too, and it would work.

Otherwise, maybe you could give it a try with just the pudding?

Franzi,  January 19, 2010 at 2:15 PM  

Aaaaaw - you have fat-free cream over there??? Heaven. We only have the full fat one (30%) :(
maybe I'll just try it with that and try not to think about the calories :)or just more pudding and cookies which doesn't really make it more of a diet-version but who cares? (hmmm.. maybe my wedding dress would actually care :) )

thx for ur answer!

Much love,
Franzi

Natalie January 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

i'm a HUGE fan of trifles and i love how simple this one is! the one on my blog is delish but pretty dang complicated! i'll have to try this one!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP