Bug Cookies

Sunday, March 22, 2009

I spent much of last week working on baking and decorating bug cookies for the baby shower yesterday.

The process was even more time-consuming than usual because I was making so many different shapes, and each of them was so detailed. I was pretty happy with how they came out, so in the end, it was worth it. Everyone at the shower loved them, and I think it was a pretty nice favor for each of them to take home!

Here are some photos of the cookies. One of the whole group:

And then each cookie individually:

The caterpillar

The bee. The details on his wings are difficult to see, but there was a pattern of lines on the tips of his wings, and then polka dots toward the middle.

The ladybug. I think these ones were my favorite.

The snail. Cute, but the swirl of the shell was really hard to do well.

The dragonfly. Probably my other favorite. I used a toothpick to combine two different colors on the wings, and I loved how it turned out.

This is how the favors were put together. Everyone got one big cookie, and then a small bee. I put them into cookie bags, and tied them with curling ribbon, and added an "It's a Boy!" charm.

As always, I used this recipe for the sugar cookie cutouts.

Tomorrow, I'll share more details about the cake!

11 comments:

Jenn and Neena Mae March 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

Heather, these look awesome!! Can I pay you to make cookies for the baby shower I'm hosting in May?! I'm so impressed! :-)

Heather March 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

Hey Jenn. Yeah, we can try to figure something out! :) I will have to research and find out the best way to ship them so we can minimize (hopefully eliminate!) breakage. E-mail me (or I'll e-mail you tomorrow) to let me know what you're thinking in terms of shapes, how many, etc. Let's talk!

Tonya March 23, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

awesome job! They look great! love all the detail you put into them.

Mrs. J L March 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

the cookies came out amazing!!!!

Anonymous,  March 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

Those are ridiculously cute! You did an awesome job - very talented!

~Elizabeth

Vanessa March 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

Heather, these are amazing! I just love them. You are so talented. I wish you could do this every day because you visibly love and are so very good at it technically whilst also being creative! Hope you post more shower pics! :)

erica March 23, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Wow. Duly impressed w/your work once again! I hope all the shower-goers knew they were your handiwork, b/c if I got one of those, I'd have thought they were bought in bulk at a trendy little bakery or something! Way cute! :)

Anonymous,  March 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

I've been a blog lurker for a while, but I finally have to post...hands down, these are adorable. I've been wanting to try icing again as my first try was a disaster and you have definitely made me want to try again.

Erica straton,  October 31, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Heather, will you mind sharing where did you get the cookie cutters from? I am planning to bake similar cookies for my daughter's b'day favors...but I just can't find snail shaped cutter anywhere? Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erica

Heather November 2, 2011 at 8:59 PM  

Hi Erica,

I'm sorry, but it was so long ago...I don't remember! I ordered them from some random shop online. I searched for bug cookie cutters on Google for a LONG time before I found the set that I liked the best (the one I bought and ended up using here). In fact, now that I'm typing that, I am thinking that I might have bought each cutter individually from an online cookie cutter shop, so I was able to pick and choose. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I definitely recommend searching online!

Erica Straton,  November 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Thanks for your reply Heather. I will certainly search online.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP