Oh Deer!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

For about 10 minutes every morning, I sit on the couch, eat my cereal, and watch Saved by the Bell television news. This week, I've mostly stuck to CNN's American Morning, because every time I flipped to Today, it was either on commercial, or Lester Holt was on. I didn't think anything of it, just that the usual crew was out this week.

This morning, I apparently turned the channel to Today at just the right moment, because 1) I saw that Matt Lauer was in a sling, 2) People in the crowd outside were all wearing deer antlers, and 3) They showed a clip of Brian Williams leaving a "get well" message for Matt and an animated deer suddenly hopped across the screen.

And since I didn't have any other TV time left, I was left to simply wonder... what.the.hell? I was wondering if the people on this show had finally lost their marbles.

Now, several hours later, I just remembered to Google. And now I know what happened to Lauer!

From Newsday:

Matt Lauer nearly collides with deer while biking
March 24, 2009

NEW YORK - A deer got the best of Matt Lauer.

The 51-year-old "Today" show host separated his shoulder while bicycling on Long Island over the weekend when he slammed on his brakes to avoid a deer and went flying.

Lauer missed Monday's show and became the butt of good-natured jokes by his colleagues. Executives say he should be back later in the week. Meanwhile, "Today" weekend co-anchor and NBC "Nightly News" anchorman Lester Holt is filling Lauer's slot.

Lauer, an avid bicyclist who took a practice ride at the Beijing Olympics, was wearing a helmet at the time of the Saturday mishap.

While this has been on my list of fears as a cyclist, it is also some really funny shit. Made even funnier by the fact that it happened to Matt Lauer, of all people. I actually don't even really like him--I just think he's kind of a tool--so I'm not sure why I even watch Today. (I don't care for Meredith Vieira, either. I'm "meh" on Al Roker. You know what? I like Ann Curry. When I was in NYC in 2004, she was super awesome to my grandmother. So, Ann Curry? You're the reason I watch Today.)

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh a little. You know, since he wasn't seriously injured and all. Apparently, all of his coworkers were getting a big chuckle out of it, too.

In the spring/summer/fall, we often ride our bikes along a canal trail that goes through some pretty heavily wooded areas. And we have seen deer along the trail. There have been more than a few times when I've been speeding down one of the hillier portions, and I've thought to myself, If a deer ran out in front of me right now, I'd be in so.much.trouble.

So thanks a lot, Matt Lauer. Thanks for the laugh (and for being a good sport about all the crap you're getting). Oh, and for helping to confirm my fears. Yikes!

2 comments:

Lesley Rae March 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

Reminds me of when Steve and I went on a nature hike with the dogs and we got pummeled by a deer running through the brush. I was pretty bruised up and was freaked out a little. But man...deer are dangerous!

Becky March 27, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

I love the Today show and thought this was hilarious! (I also flip back and forth to Saved by the Bell!)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP