Dirt Cake

Monday, March 23, 2009

For the baby shower, in addition to the cookies I made for favors, I also made a bugs-themed cake--you know, for dessert. :)

I used my big jelly roll pan (10.5 x 15.5") and made a gigantic chocolate fudge cake. And OK, I'll admit it. I cheated. The cake was from a box. Good ol' Betty came to my aid yet again. (It was good stuff.)

Once it was done, I did cut it into two layers. The filling? Oreo buttercream. Then I frosted it with vanilla buttercream that I colored bright green. I put a couple handfuls of Oreos through the food processor to make "dirt," and then spread that around on the top of the cake in a big rectangle. Then, using one of my Wilton piping tips, I piped all of that awesome looking grass onto the top edges and the sides. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it was worth it in the end. I absolutely loved how this turned out.

To finish it all off, I placed several gummy worms on top, then made a little sign with a quote on it that tied the cake back into the "baby boy" shower theme. "Boys are meant for kisses and hugs, for watching rainbows, and catching bugs."

Perfect!

We didn't stop with just a "dirt and grass" decorated cake. No, sir. On Friday night, when were doing the food preparation at my mom's, Marie and I also threw together a "real" dirt cake. And we served it right out of a bucket!

It was the cutest. Vanilla pudding, cream cheese, cool whip, butter... all mixed together and then layered with... you guessed it, more "dirt." The dirt for this dessert was made up of about 1.5 packages of Oreos. It was a lot of dirt!

Topped it off with more gummi worms and stuck a small bunch of fake flowers in it. Also made another little sign with another quote on it that related to boys and dirt. "Trucks and dirt and shades of blue, little boys are angels, too." Put together, and with the rest of our decor, it was really quite adorable.

Here is what it looked like once it had been mostly devoured. It was a huge hit! (Such a hit, in fact, that Kara's 6-year-old cousin told me she wished I was her mommy! *gasp* It was really sweet, I just wish she hadn't said it right in front of her real mommy!)

I wasn't sure how many people were going to want to eat the dirt cake AND the chocolate cake, but everyone wanted both. Since the dirt cake was kind of like "cookies and cream," it went really well with the chocolate cake--it served as a good ice cream substitute. In case you're interested in trying this out, I'll share the recipe that we used.

Dirt Cake
(Source: Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 (3.5 oz.) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (12 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 32 oz. (2 packages) Oreo cookies

Directions:
1. Chop Oreo cookies very fine in a food processor. The white cream will disappear.

2. Mix butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a bowl.

3. In a large bowl, mix milk, pudding mix, and whipped topping together.

4. Combine pudding mixture and cream cheese mixture.

5. Layer in flower pot or bucket, starting with cookies, then cream mixture. Repeat layers.

6. Chill until ready to serve.

7. Add gummy worms, artificial flowers, and trowel. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Jamie March 23, 2009 at 10:10 PM  

Great job! I love the "grass"!

Ellen Mint March 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

Wow, that grass is awesome. So realistic looking.

Mm now I really want some dirt cake.

Mrs. J L March 24, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Wow! They both came out sooo awesome! I am sure that they tasted yummy too. :)

ljkc March 24, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

YESYES! I remember making dirt cups w/gummie worms! Sooo adorable - if/when I am w/boy-child, I want the same dessert-spread. Do you travel? ;)

xo

Angeline March 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

it looked amazing! Your such a good baker!

Anna March 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

I love this cake! Would go great with my blog goodbyecake.com!

Joanna Eberhart March 31, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

This is adorable. I may do something like this for a summer picnic or something! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP