Strawberry Love

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I didn't like strawberries until I was about 16-17 years old. I know, *gasp!*

But I grew up as an extremely picky eater. In fact, I'm still kind of picky, but I'm not even remotely as bad as I used to be. I don't really remember any "bad experiences" with strawberries from my younger days, but for whatever reason, I hadn't given them a chance in years. Then I was at a friend's graduation party and the strawberries just looked SO GOOD. So I decided to give them a shot, and well, I've never looked back. In terms of fruit, they have easily become one of my favorites.

And so it is always a pleasure when I walk into the grocery store this time of year and see the HUGE displays of strawberries right as I walk in the door. It's also around this time of year that the prices drop to 2 lbs. for $3 (usually $5 throughout the rest of the year). Not only that, but the strawberries get GOOD. So tasty.

I've picked up 2 lbs. of strawberries each week for the last few weeks, but we've been going through them too quickly. So this week, I decided to go big... 4 lbs.! Check out this huge box of delicious-looking berries:

Hell yes. Breakfast, lunches, snacks, desserts... so many possibilities.

One of my favorite things to make with strawberries is a light dessert... a little strawberry shortcake. I was turned onto this dessert a few years ago, when I was on Weight Watchers. I loved how I could "indulge" in a little something after dinner, and for so few points!

It starts with a little dessert cup, sold pre-made in (I think) most grocery stores. I top that with some fat free whipped topping, then a handful of sliced strawberries. YUM. And so... summery. I love it.

Summer is almost here... I can't believe Memorial Day is this weekend. Wow. We've started summer hours at work, which is obviously awesome. We come in a bit earlier Monday through Thursday, but then we get half day Fridays. It's quite the perk.

Other than that, not much else going on around these parts, which is why I've been kind of quiet on the blog for the last two weeks or so. Last week, I was mostly dead tired and didn't feel like doing much of anything... going into work earlier every day took its toll. But this week, I'm feeling much more adjusted.

Oh! And I am constantly thinking about and waiting on that baby. Sounds like he will be here early next week at the latest (will likely resort to induction). I can't wait!

9 comments:

Denae,  May 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

Man, we just don't get fruit like that in Virginia!! Did you go to Wegmans? They always had the BEST fruit!! Yummy berries!!

Heather May 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Yes, Denae... Wegmans! I <3 Wegmans, and don't plan to ever move somewhere that does not have one. I'm too spoiled. Don't they have a few stores down in Virginia now? Nowhere near you, I take it?

Anonymous,  May 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

Yum. I LOVE strawberries. We've eaten them everyday for the last 3 weeks. My Fiance said no more this week. But little does he know I'll be buying some anyway :)I make strawberry smoothies in the morning for breakfast, I made a strawberry tart, strawberry shortcake, pancakes, muffins. It's all so endless.

Vanessa May 20, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

LOVE berry season!
Fingers crossed Hunter comes soon! So so exciting!

Tricia May 20, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

I used to be allergic to strawberries...I never realized what I was missing all these years! Luckily, I'm not anymore and love buying them throughout the summer. They are great in cereal and are my favorite after work snack. I'll have to check out Wegmans since the fruit in my market is not very good quality.

Jen May 20, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

I didn't like strawberries until after I graduated from college... Now I eat them all the time!!

Denae,  May 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

No. :( They have them in Northern VA, up around Washington DC, I believe. But not down here in Richmond. What kills me though is the apple situation. We're so spoiled in NY with good apples. Down here Macs and Empires (my faves) are up around $2/lb. and they're icky! They mainly sell Red Delicious here. I miss Wegmans!!

Tiffany May 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

Next time put a little Bailey's at the bottom of the cake part! Kicks it up a notch:)

Justine May 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

I just bought some strawberries today and they don't look as good as yours do. :( Still delicious though! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP