S'mores Bars

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

When it comes to dessert, I don't know that it ever gets much better than s'mores. Not only are they tasty, but they immediately evoke feelings and memories of summer, campfires, and fun.

So when I saw these s'mores bars, I just knew I had to make them... and soon. I knew they would go over really well with my family, so I decided to make them for Mother's Day.

I have seen several different recipes for these floating around, but I believe that this one is, by far, the easiest. I was originally going to make one of the more "complicated" versions. But when Melissa shared this recipe with me, I decided that since I was already going to be busy preparing other things for our Mother's Day meal, I'd save myself the extra work and keep it simple.

And as it turns out, in this case, easy = WINNER. In every aspect of the word. These things are amazing. Not only were they delicious straight out of the oven, when they were still warm and ooey and gooey, but they were just as good (but in a different way!) the next day, when they were cold. When cold, they almost reminded me of a really good candy bar. Yummmm.

S'mores Bars
(Source: Betty Crocker)

Ingredients:
- 1 pouch (1 lb., 1.5 oz.) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips (18 oz.) -- I used the candy-making wafers found in the bulk section since they are easier to melt
- 4 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Note: I didn't measure out the chocolate OR the marshmallows. I just spread them over top of the bars until it looked right to me! So I think I ended up using less than what was called for.

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, stir together cookie mix and crumbs. Stir in melted butter until soft dough forms. Press into ungreased 13" x 9" pan.

2. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Spread chocolate evenly over crust.

3. Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle marshmallows over melted chocolate. Broil with top 4 to 5 inches from heat 20 to 30 seconds or until marshmallows are toasted. (Watch closely; marshmallows will brown quickly.)

4. Cool 10 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Serve warm. Store any remaining bars tightly covered.

3 comments:

Kate June 27, 2009 at 12:12 AM  

Ooooh, I am going to have to try these on one of my diet cheating days...these look AMAZING!!! :D

Another similar recipe to try are Popcorn Smore Bars (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=677633&ff=1). I make these all the time...they're pretty delish and relatively diet-friendly.

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Jen December 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

These do look really good! I agree, the marshmallow fluff does have a weird taste. Maybe next time I make mine, I'll just use regular marshmallows or just use your recipe.

Julibean February 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

When I make something similar to these, instead of using marshmallows at all I make a batch of meringue, spread it over the top with a swirl design, and blast it with my blow torch!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP