Anticipation

Sunday, May 17, 2009

For the last two weeks or so, I have been on edge. Waiting, watching, hoping, willing, praying. I'm excited and impatient. I'm expecting a very important phone call, you see.

I'm waiting to hear that my sister-in-law is in labor, and heading to the hospital.

It's true that I normally get antsy whenever someone close to me is about to give birth. This isn't unusual for me. I'm just always anxious to meet the babies! But this time, my excitement is increased tenfold. For one, this is my brother's baby... which just seems so weird. Not only that, but little Hunter's birth is going to be very special for me.

It's going to be my first time witnessing a baby being brought into the world. That's right; Trevor and Kara have asked me to join them in the delivery room.

I am beyond excited. My primary "job" is going to be to take photos--lots and lots of photos. We want to capture the emotions and the experience of the whole process, from the beginnings of labor, all the way through the aftermath of delivery (i.e. everyone getting to meet the baby).

I'll admit that I'm a little bit nervous. Not so much about the medical stuff, but as an "amateur" at photography, I just want to make sure I don't screw this up. The kid will only ever be born once! I am feeling the pressure to do a decent job.

More than anything, though, I am honored to be asked. I'm going to have the opportunity to watch a person take his first breath. That's pretty freaking amazing. I'm also going to witness the moment my "baby" brother becomes a father. I sort of get all misty just thinking about it! I hope I don't bawl. I should at least be able to hold myself together well enough to get some good pictures. :)

So now it's just a waiting game. Kara's doctors seemed to give the impression they thought the baby would come a little early, so they kind of set the expectation that there wouldn't be long to wait. And well, that was like two weeks ago! The waiting has been a bit torturous!

The official due date is on Tuesday, and Kara is ready--more than ready--for this little guy to make his debut. It seems as though he might be a little too comfortable in there. We went to my cousin's graduation party today and everyone gave the baby a good stern talking to (especially my grandma--if he doesn't listen to her, I don't know that he'll listen to anyone!).

Here's hoping he starts to make his way out very soon. He's been baking in there long enough; he should be good and done by now. It's eviction time.

The world is ready for you, little guy. We can't wait to meet you.

2 comments:

Katie May 17, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

Good luck with everything, Heather! I think you are amazing to be doing this for your sister in law. Can't wait to see pics of little Hunter!

Anonymous,  May 18, 2009 at 12:58 AM  

How fun! I hope blood doesn't gross you out :)

Photographers charge lots of money to do birth photos. Your bother and sister in law should feel really blessed their sister is doing this! Can't wait to see *some* of the photos!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP