Toll House Pie

Saturday, May 2, 2009

I made this weeks ago for Easter with my in-laws, but haven't had a chance to post it until now. I had been on the hunt for a new dessert, and when I came across Toll House Pie, I knew I had to give it a shot. Ooey, gooey chocolate chip cookie batter inside of a pie crust? YES, please.

I started with the recipe on Allrecipes.com. As I always do, I read through many of the comments, and discovered that to use the amount of butter called for in the recipe (1 cup) was NOT recommended. Most people complained of it being too buttery, too greasy, too liquid-like, etc. Some people claimed that using 1/2 cup butter worked better. Others claimed 3/4 cup. I wasn't sure which to go with. Ultimately, I decided to give it a go with the 1/2 cup butter.

The thing is, I made this pie in advance. I baked it on Friday night, and it looked absolutely delicious right out of the oven. But we didn't cut into it after dinner on Saturday night, and by then, it was pretty hard. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely good. Just not the ooey and gooey dessert that I had been hoping for. When Michael and I ate a leftover piece a few nights later, we warmed it up in the oven first before eating it. It helped, but it still wasn't what I had anticipated.

Next time: I will definitely not bake this in advance. I can make the batter, pour it into the pie crust to prepare, but I won't do any baking until right before we're planning to eat it. Secondly, I'm going to give it a try with the 3/4 cup butter instead of the 1/2 cup. I think the extra butter will help to give it more of the ooey gooey consistency I was looking for.

Also worth noting: I used a pre-made/pre-baked crust. I decided to go with a chocolate crust, and it was good! I read in the comments on Allrecipes that some people used the graham cracker crust with good results as well.

Toll House Pie
(Source: Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie (you can use any crust you like, or even a store-bought one, like a graham cracker or chocolate crust)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Add the flour, white sugar and brown sugar; beat until well blended. Blend in the melted butter.

3. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour batter into one unbaked 9 inch pie shell.

4. Bake for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

3 comments:

ljkc May 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Toll House Pie!! This one was a staple in my house growing up - love it!!

xo

Anonymous,  May 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

This looks fantastic!

Lindsay November 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

I just made this for my company that was in town and it was GREAT!! :)

When we ate the leftovers we heated it for a few seconds and it was just as delicious.

(I used 3/4 cup butter as you recommended and it was perfect)

here is my post about it :)

http://berteaulife.blogspot.com/2010/11/our-friends-from-north-carolina-are-in.html

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP