Salt & Pepper

Monday, December 21, 2009

It is a sad, sad day on Heather Drive.

As I was driving into work this morning, I glanced at myself in my rear-view mirror. When I'm sitting in my seat, I have a pretty good view of the top of my head. On normal mornings, I'll often observe that my part is crooked, or I'll make note of the sad state of my highlights.

But on this overcast morning, the light through my sunroof shone just so... and suddenly, I caught a glimpse of something foreign. Something unexpected.

Could it be?

When I came to a stop in the parking lot at work, I had to take a closer look. I leaned forward to inspect, and to my horror, my eyes were not deceiving me.

My friends: I discovered my first-ever gray hair. There it was, sticking up right in the middle of my part, about 2 inches long.

Of course, it didn't last. I ripped the impostor out of my head as quickly as possible, accidentally eliminating three perfectly normal brown hairs in the process.

And you didn't think I'd come without photographic evidence, did you?

I give you... my gray hair. (It's the best I could do with a crappy cell phone camera.)

Look at it! Not only is it a shimmery shade of silver, but it is also thick, kinky, and coarse. Is this what I have to look forward to?? *shudder*

I don't even have a stressful job or rambunctious kids to blame.

I am 27 years old. And this is 10 different kinds of wrong.

14 comments:

Jen December 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

I feel your pain! I found my first a few years ago. Sometimes I'll find one that almost full length. I have no idea how it can grow that long without me seeing it.

Cheerful Homemaker December 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

I found my first silver hair at 16. I'm about to turn 24. I recently began finding a few more here and there. I now color my hair every four weeks.

~ H December 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Oh, girl ... don't you even worry! I've been watching those pesky grays pop up for years now (I'll be 27 this month). Just remember ... it's always better to go gray than to lose your hair completely. Besides, mixing up your look with color can be really, really fun!

Vanessa December 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

I'm petrified of the day this happens to me! You're brave to share with us! I have already told Marc that I will not succumb to gray but will dye my hair! He thinks I'm mad but I don't care! I think you deserve some yummy cake tonight! :)

Rebecca December 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

I found my first on my 28th birthday. It was terrible...had I not been at work, I probably would have cried.

caren December 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM  

ha..i'm 28 and have gray hairs everywhere. i would kill to only have 1! luckily they are all underneath and not on the top of my head. when we get to that point, i'll be dying it often!

Heather December 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

You ladies are all making me laugh. :)

My post was very tongue-in-cheek, though. I'm not really all that upset. I definitely had "what the hell??" feelings about it, but I'm not devastated or anything.

And judging from some of your comments, it sounds like I'm lucky to have made it this long! Now chin hair is another story. I have one pesky chin hair that manages to grow back pretty long before I notice it and pluck it again. But the first time I found that? I was like 20 and horrified. :)

Anonymous,  December 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

You made me smile and then I just burst out laughing. Thank you, I truly needed that. I remember the first one - or so I thought until I inspected thoroughly later that very day oh so very long ago.

Vanessa December 22, 2009 at 3:24 AM  

Omg, I love that you mentioned chin hair because I was *thinking* about it but didn't dare mention it. Can I just say how cool you are?
Well in the interest of full disclosure, I have a few below my jawbone, on one side. They irritate the hell out of me! They are whispy and hard to grab, but definitely there and I have no idea how sometimes I manage not to see one before it seemingly takes over the world. Is it age? Hormones? I dunno. I DO know that I don't like it!

Becky December 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

I have two grey hairs. And I am 26. I also just discovered my first grey eyebrow hair. Eww!

Amanda December 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

Heheh I've had gray hair since I was 18...and I've dyed it ever since! I may only be 21 now, but I still have a good amount of salt n pepper hair. Ah well.

As to your chin hair, I have one on my forehead. It's really annoying, and it seems like it grows overnight!

Noey December 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

I found my first one last Monday. The oh-so best parts?
I'm 18, and
I was in the bathroom at the dentist getting a cavity filled and spotted in the mirror. My heart was already up and it literally got higher. It was weird.
I left it on my head though. That way I definitely can't lose it. Haha

Megan January 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM  

Oh, it is only the beginning, my friend. Only the start. Those F-ers like to pop out of your part, start greying your temples and all manner of fun stuff. I actually just had my hair colored yesterday and I can't get over how much better it looks. I have to be better about going.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP