2009 in Review

Thursday, December 31, 2009

As I sit here, six hours before the new year, and look back on the past twelve months, I find that a lot happened this year. Nothing earth-shattering or life-changing (in a good way or a bad way) occurred, but it was a good year nonetheless.

The ability to reflect is actually one of the best things about keeping a blog. It's easy to go back in the archives and remind myself of all of 2009. So, let's review, shall we? :)

January

January brought my first "serious" photography purchases. I didn't know then what I would be getting myself into, but when I bought these items, it was the starting point of what would become a big part of my life. The initial purchase was a good lens. (And it is so hilarious to look back on those first photos now. SO BAD.) Then, we bought an external flash. The first photos I ever took with it were of food. Specifically, this recipe.

On a particularly frigid day, shortly before leaving work for the day, I visited CNN.com and saw the breaking news that would become the Miracle on the Hudson. This story really affected me for some reason. Even now, I see the TV specials about it and I can't help but cry (happy tears). It's just such an amazing story and I cannot believe that "Captain Sully" saved all of those people with his ability to handle a crisis.

For the first time since I started voting, I saw my guy get inaugurated as the President of the United States. I watched the entire thing streaming live on CNN.com from my desk at work, and I loved every minute of it. It was a magical and historical day.

February

In February, we jet-setted off to Las Vegas for a fun trip with friends. It was colder than we were all expecting, but it was fun and it was great to see everyone. We came home tired, but unfortunately, not any richer. :)

Against all odds, Tessa turned three. We didn't know if she would ever see her third birthday, so it was an enormous blessing to us. Can't believe she's almost four now...

On February 13, we woke up to terrible, horrible news. A plane crashed just outside of Buffalo, and all on board had perished. It hit very close to home (literally and figuratively), and is still difficult to believe.

Later in the month, I reunited with my girls for the first time in six months. Thankfully, we've been much better about getting together as of late. We make sure to schedule something every two months!

March

We welcomed a beautiful baby nephew on March 2. We went down to meet him on March 6, and found him to be every bit as perfect as we had imagined.

I started doing a weekly grocery run, instead of going on an as-needed basis. It changed my life. Now, I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Marie and I hosted a "bugs" baby shower for Kara, who was expecting our nephew. It went perfectly and I was so happy with how all of the special little touches turned out.

April

We celebrated Easter with my family. (And I made really cute cookies and cupcakes for the occasion!)

After a deep thaw, we grilled for the first time of the season. Can't tell you how good that feels after a long winter!

I moved offices at work
. It sucked. I had to say goodbye to the coworkers who had become really close friends. Even though we keep in touch, it is definitely different. Eight months later, we're not as close. I have adjusted to my new location, but look back at those as "the good ol' days."

May

Swine flu became a huge deal. A partnership between Oprah and Kentucky Fried Chicken caused pandemonium and dominated the news.

We honored moms.

Tessa and I got caught in a downpour.

We got passports!

We welcomed baby nephew #3, Hunter. I was honored to be asked to photograph his birth, and witnessing his entry into the world is one of the best moments of my entire life.

June

I almost burned our house down.

I did my first "real" photo shoot, which was Hunter's newborn photos. I sort of cringe looking back at them, because I feel like I could do so much better now, but it was a starting point for me. I enjoyed it so much that it really took me to the next level in my photography journey. It was at that point that I really started taking it seriously.

We took a wonderful trip out west, visiting Seattle and San Francisco.

We marked our first wedding anniversary.

Michael Jackson unexpectedly died.

We watched my sister-in-law graduate high school.

July

We celebrated the U.S.A.'s independence (and my brother's engagement). Oh, holy hell. That was some party. Incidentally, July 5 was spent nursing the worst hangover I have had in a loooong time.

I decided I wanted to cut my hair. Drastically.

I paid off my car. Woohoo!!

Heather Drive had its first birthday.

I made the choice and embrace and love Terrell Owens as a Buffalo Bill.

We took our annual trip to the Poconos.

August

I officially chopped off my hair. (And donated it.)

I started my 101 in 1001 list.

I blew out 27 candles.

Our nephew, Brendan, turned two. As is tradition, I made his cake.

My photography really started falling into place.

September

We took a cool day trip to ride a really fast boat. And get soaked.

We went on an awesome weekend trip to Chicago, and loved it.

I had several paid photo shoots.

We started a newlywed map.

October

My brothers celebrated a birthday.

I declared the Buffalo Bills to be losers. AGAIN.

I suffered through jury duty.

My best friend's baby turned one.

I marked the second anniversary of my LASIK eye surgery. Yay!

November

My dad came to visit, which was fun. It's always nice to have the opportunity to see him.

Buffalo Bills Head Coach Dick Jauron got fired. Thank GOD.

We said goodbye to a precious grandparent.

As usual, Thanksgiving was a family affair. Times two.

December

Sort of randomly, we decided to visit Texas. We spent a long weekend exploring San Antonio and Austin.

I took some adorable photos of a "Santa Baby."

I found my first gray hair. Horrible.

We celebrated Christmas. A few times, actually.

And that brings me to the present. As you can see, it's been quite a year. I wish you all a very happy new year... with all good things to come in 2010.

3 comments:

Vanessa January 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

Happy new year Heather! I love this recap! I've loved following your blog this year and I wish you an amazing year to come!
I am so excited because this is the year I get married!! :)
Take care,
Vanessa xxx

Wishing on stars January 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

This has just given me the motivation to try and keep blogging and much more regularly!
Happy New Year!

Morgan January 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

All in all an eventful year! Your 101 in 1001 post inspired me to write my own. I used a few of yours (such good ideas) but linked to your blog.

http://www.twobeebs.com/2010/01/101-in-1001.html

Hope you have another productive, happy, and healthy year!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP