Chicken Piccata

Sunday, December 13, 2009

A few months back, I was looking for new recipes to try. My cousin sent me this one and proclaimed it as her favorite. I put it in my bookmarked pages and planned to try it soon, but it kept getting pushed further and further down the list.

Earlier this week, when I was doing the meal planning for the week, I came across it again and decided that this weekend would be the time to try it.

The crispy, breaded coating nicely complements the tender, juicy chicken. The lemon/wine sauce spooned over the top kicks the chicken flavors up a notch and makes for a really awesome meal.

We served the chicken with homemade red smashed potatoes and some veggies. Everything came together pretty easily and we were sitting down to eat in no time.

Chicken Piccata
(Source: Ina Garten, Food Network)

Ingredients:
- 2 split (1 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Good olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Sliced lemon, for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

2. Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.

3. Mix the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and 1/2 tablespoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 10 minutes while you make the sauce.

5. For the sauce, wipe out the saute pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

4 comments:

Katie December 15, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Chicken piccata is one of my favorites! I'll have to try this variation, since it's slightly different than the one I use regularly.

Oh, and I totally recognize that square plate from the Noritake collection. We got it in black :-)

Heather,  December 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

Looks yummy! What's your recipe for the mashed potatoes? Those look fantastic as well!

Heather December 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

Heather--I've been "in charge" of making mashed potatoes in my family since I was like 12... but I have NEVER used a recipe! And I am the *master* mashed potato maker, if I do say so myself. ;)

I honestly could not tell you amounts for the ingredients. I just throw a little bit of this, a lot of that, some more of this, and a tad more of that. A few taste tests along the way, and ta-da! Perfect mashed potatoes.

But to give you an idea, for these I used about 1/2 bag of red potatoes, just chopped them into cubes (left skins on) and boiled until very soft, or "fork tender" as Emeril says. (I don't even use a timer. Couldn't tell you how long to cook them to save my life. I'm no help!) I essentially cook them until they fall apart when I stick a fork into them.

Then to mash them, I add milk, butter/margarine, garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder. Other ingredients vary depending on the mood or what I have on hand. Sometimes I'll add sour cream, italian seasoning, chives, etc.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Morgan January 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

I made this recipe tonight for dinner. The chicken was great!

I'm not sure what I did wrong with the sauce though... Maybe my wine wasn't dry enough or I used too much lemon juice, but it tasted so strongly of lemon!

I dipped every other bite. All in all, very yummy!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP