Oreo Truffles

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

After tackling the cupcake bites a couple of times, I figured the famous Oreo truffles would be easy. And while still time consuming, they did take less time (less steps!).

I followed the "alternate" recipe (uses condensed milk instead of cream cheese), which allows the truffles to be kept at room temperature. I chose to dip half of the truffles in milk chocolate, and half in white chocolate. Then I drizzled them with colored candy melts.

I made these tonight so we can take them with us for a New Year's party tomorrow night.

Oreo Truffles
(Source: Kraft Foods)

Ingredients:
- 1 package (1 lb., 2 oz.) Oreo cookies
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk OR 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1/2 lb. milk chocolate candy melts
- 1/2 lb. white chocolate candy melts

Directions:
1. In food processor, grind Oreo cookies until completely crushed.

2. Place crushed cookies into a large bowl. Add condensed milk or cream cheese, stirring until combined. The cookie crumbles should all be moist so that they easily stick together.

3. Shape cookie mixture into 1-inch balls. Lay cookie balls on cookie sheet covered with wax paper. Place into freezer for a few minutes to harden.

4. Dip cookie balls into melted chocolate, and return to wax paper to dry. Drizzle with additional melted chocolate or candy melts for decoration (if desired).

If you use the cream cheese version, truffles must be kept in the refrigerator. Recipe yields approximately 30-50 truffles, depending on size.

5 comments:

Sarah January 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Are they just as good with the sweetened condensed milk? Also, what did you use to dip them? I usually use toothpicks, and then have to find a way to cover the hole....?

Megan January 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

When I dip mine they're a mess! I used chips the first time, realized that was bad b/c they have stabilizers in them. Last time I used good chocolate, while better, still not as round and neat as yours. What did you do for the dipping process?

Heather January 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

Sarah--I have nothing to compare it to, because I've never made them with cream cheese. Personally, I'm not a big fan of cream cheese, so I can only imagine I like these better. But let's put it this way--I certainly didn't receive any complaints!

And as for the dipping... I picked up these cheap little plastic dipping tools at Michaels, though I have to say I don't think they really helped much. I basically just dipped them, shook off the excess, and then waited a minute or two for the chocolate to start hardening before I put them down on wax paper. I imagine I probably could have achieved the same thing using a fork. It was time consuming, and a pain in the ass, but they did come out pretty well. And it was definitely a mess!

Courtney January 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Oh wow, they look delicious, now I want chocolate really bad haha! :)

My Dream Ring January 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

You should open your own bakery, your bakery goodies are always so gorgeous and look like they came out of Mratha Stewart! they look delish!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP