Pumped

Friday, December 19, 2008

OK, so I spent yesterday's blog post bitching and moaning about taxes.

A few hours later, I took a trip to a local gas station and couldn't help but become a bit giddy. So I thought--My post today can counteract the bitterness of my post yesterday.

Because this?


That right there is a thing of beauty.

$25 to fill up my gas tank? Hallelujah!

I bought my car in July 2004, and I specifically remember that the very first time I filled up the tank, it cost me $1.99/gallon. And I remember thinking, it surely can't go up much further than this!

Oh, how little I knew. But when I started driving in 1998, on occasion, gas could still be had for $0.99/gallon. So $2.00? That seemed like a lot. But now? I'll be giddy over $1.84.

Just a few short months ago, Michael and I didn't even bat an eye at the $4.40ish gas prices when we were in Hawaii. Why? Well, because it wasn't much more than we were paying at home. We were routinely paying $4.15ish here. It was costing us $50+ to fill my gas tank.

Then, the unexpected. Prices started falling. I remember being relieved when they crept back under $4.

An all-out celebration when they fell under $3.

Now, under $2?? I am beside myself. And the truth is that we're still paying well above the national average. And I'm OK with that.

And so I pray to the gas gods. Please do not take this away.

5 comments:

S December 19, 2008 at 10:40 AM  

I hear ya! I filled up the other day for $1.43.

Bridgit December 19, 2008 at 10:49 AM  

That's great. But it goes to show how much more gas (and everything else) is in NY. The station right down from our house is $1.49 per gallon right now.

Anonymous,  December 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

I don't want to burst the bubble, but.... OPEC has announced they are going to continue cutting back on oil production until prices "stabalize." According to an article I just read, the average price per barrel right now is $43 and the Saudis think $75 is the fair price. That's an increase of about 75%. Boo.

Ellen Mint December 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM  

The crappy thing is it's gonna go up again. Damn money grubby OPEC.

I've seen it jump 10 cents in a day already.

Heather December 19, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

I know that, Julia. I read and saw the story earlier this week. Hence my praying to the gas gods. I meant to post a link, but forgot. I'll update my post now!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP