Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

Monday, December 22, 2008

I intended to make this pumpkin gingerbread trifle the weekend after Thanksgiving for our gathering with Michael's family. However, we had so much pie leftover from the actual holiday that I thought better of it. So I had all of the ingredients on hand and was just waiting for a good excuse to make it.

Yesterday, big group of friends + football + drinks + dinner + coming back to our house afterward = the perfect excuse to make it.

This was super easy to make (as most trifles are), and what's not to love about gingerbread, pumpkin, pudding, and cool whip? That's right: Nothing. It's all good, folks.

I ran into one minor issue when making this. I followed Paula's recipe exactly, but apparently, her trifle bowl is MUCH bigger than mine. Because I had about twice as many ingredients as I actually needed. Two gingerbread cakes? One would have been OK. All of that pudding and pumpkin pie filling? About half of it would have sufficed.

So my layers aren't as even and pretty as they would have been if I hadn't run out of room. Oh well.

I lightened up the recipe as much as possible by using fat free/sugar free vanilla pudding mix, and also fat free cool whip.

I finished off the top by putting some cool whip into a piping bag with one of my Wilton decorating tips and making several little swirlies on top. It turned out cute.

Apparently, this ended up being a super popular holiday recipe. Ever since I first saw it, I've seen it on numerous blogs, have heard about it a few times, and when I mentioned it to our crowd while we were out at dinner? It turned out that one of our friends had actually made it before--for Thanksgiving, of course.

But, should you be one of the people out there who has not yet seen this beauty...

Without further ado, I give you the recipe (by none other than Paula Deen):

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
(Source: Paula Deen)

Ingredients:
- 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Directions:
1. Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool.

3. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding.

4. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.

5. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping.

6. Sprinkle the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

6 comments:

Jill December 22, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

OMG, that looks absolutely amazing! My mouth is watering just looking at it!!!

Thanks for sharing, I might try this for our New Year's party... YUM!

Anonymous,  December 22, 2008 at 7:10 PM  

Looks delicious! I'll give it a try since we love pumpkin anything :D

Laura December 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM  

that looks incredibly delicious. gotta love paula deen!

Michelle December 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM  

I made this just last week, and had the same issue- too much gingerbread for my bowl. But- it was the big hit at the holiday lunch at work. I will definitely make it again- sooo yummy.

Cara December 24, 2008 at 1:15 AM  

I made this for Thanksgiving also, and it was great! It looks like I have the same trifle bowl as you, and I also had a lot of extra that I wondered what in the heck her trifle bowl looks like to fit it all in there. It made really great individual ones later after the guests were gone though! :)

Ingrid_3Bs December 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

Mmmmm, my kids are tired of all the pumpkin desserts I've made but your trifle is one I've been meaning to make since LAST year! Oh, well, just one more pumpkin recipe for them. :)

I've just scrolled through almost all of your dessert archives. You've got a ton of yummy stuff, several of which I've tired and enjoyed already!
~ingrid

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP