Taxed

Thursday, December 18, 2008

It looks like I'll be drinking less Diet Coke. (I absolutely refuse to give up wine.) And I'll be listening to less music.

Or you know... maybe we'll just move. Let's get the hell out of New York.

We are already the second most taxed state in America, and now Governor Paterson wants to raise the ante. And all I can say is...

Go to hell.

We pay ridiculous amounts of property taxes, school taxes, etc. We have an 8% sales tax. I've always been a little bitter about all of this, but fellow New Yorkers have repeatedly pointed out that compared to other states, we get a lot more for our tax money. So I've continuously sucked it up.

But seriously? Higher taxes on soda, beer, wine, iTunes, taxis, movies, sports games, and cable? I'm well aware that these things aren't necessities, but holy hell. Way to suck the fun out of just about everything.

The State has gotten themselves into this mess with our broken welfare system, general overspending, and pouring money into the wrong programs. So you know what? They should get themselves out. They're already bleeding us dry and now they want more.

I know, I know. I'm a democrat complaining about taxes. But come on. The shittiest thing is that we're going to be paying all these extra taxes, and funds for education, healthcare, social programs, etc. are STILL being cut. Jobs are STILL being lost. If more taxes were going to improve something, I'd likely have an easier time with the hikes. But what are we getting for the extra taxes? Looks like a big ol' NOTHING.

I know the economy sucks and everyone is hurting, including the government. But for the love of all that is good in life, how does it help to put us all further in the hole? We're going to be paying more for all of the stuff that helps us forget about how much things suck.

Thanks, New York. Thanks a lot.

8 comments:

Unknown December 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Amen! As a girl from Jersey I understand the woe's of high taxes. If my property taxes were any higher we'd be foreced to move. They are thinking about raising them too!

Anonymous,  December 18, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

Yeah. Not fun. I like Oregon. No sales tax. Sure, property tax is higher but how great is it to buy a $1.99 toy and actually pay $1.99? LOVE it.

MrsH120807 December 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

Amen! As a teacher it drives me crazy that we're going to be taxed for everything but I still could lose my job. I've always loved living in New York but it's starting to suck!

Anonymous,  December 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM  

TN is great because there is no state income tax BUT we pay 9.25% sales tax on EVERYTHING. it really stinks!

Vanessa December 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

Hey Heather, I really enjoyed your Q+A session - thanks! Just wanted to say I'm so with you on this one. Living in France is taking a serious toll on my finances. Sales tax is a whopping 19.6% here. Can you believe that? Being a democrat doesn't mean you can't complain about tax, after all, we all want and deserve value for money.

Sarah December 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM  

It's jasarah from June08. :)

So I shouldn't complain about our 7% sales tax in Nebraska? :)

Love your blog, Heather. I'm determined to one day get my sugar cookies to look as great as yours. :)

Becky December 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

I'm from Chicago...so our sales tax is over 10%...on EVERYTHING (except food). It is getting SO bad.

Anonymous,  December 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Dude, seriously. Fellow New Yorker here and my friend's Virginia property tax a YEAR is what I pay PER MONTH in NY. And, her house is bigger and nicer.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP