Asian Lettuce Wraps

Sunday, June 20, 2010

If you've ever been to P.F. Chang's, I'm guessing you've had lettuce wraps. It seems as if it's a crime to go there without ordering them!

When I saw this homemade version on Annie's blog, I was excited to try them! But, there was just one thing holding me back.

Confession: I have a weird aversion to ground chicken and ground turkey. I have no idea why, since I don't have any problems with lean ground beef. It's just one of those things, but because I don't have a good reason, I knew it was time to get over it.

This was just the recipe to help me over the hurdle.


I'll admit that I was still a little put off by the ground chicken as it was cooking, but I quickly got past it once I took my first bite into one of these babies. Delicious!

I adapted the recipe slightly to make a bit more sauce. When we drizzled the original amount over our filling, it didn't seem like enough so I made a bit more. And as Annie says--don't leave out the diced apple! It's fantastic!

Asian Lettuce Wraps
(Source: Slightly adapted from Annie's Eats)

Ingredients:

For the sauce:
- 2 1/4 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce

For the filling:
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (I used frozen peas, diced red pepper and onion)
- 1/2 green apple, finely chopped

To assemble:
Butter lettuce leaves (if you can find them--otherwise, use iceberg), washed and separated
Shredded carrots for topping (optional)

Directions:
1. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and mix to blend.

2. To make the filling, heat a skillet on high heat with cooking oil. Once the pan is hot, add the garlic, ginger and green onions to the pan, and stir fry for a few seconds, just until fragrant.

3. Add the ground turkey or chicken, breaking into small pieces, and cook until almost cooked through. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the sauce and cook for about 1 minute until thickened slightly.

4. Add the apples to the pan and toss to coat. Immediately remove the pan from the heat.

5. Serve the filling in lettuce “cups” and top with shredded carrots, if desired.

2 comments:

Krystie June 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

I tried making these a few months ago and mine tasted like mush! I'll have to try this version

Jessica,  June 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

I made these for dinner last night, and they were SO GOOD. The mixture of spices in the sauce is spot on. I made an additional batch of the sauce for dipping. YUM!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP