Just Say No

Saturday, June 26, 2010

One of the things that women never tell you about pregnancy: It really, really sucks when you can't take good drugs. (The legal ones, of course.)

I had a pretty bad cold after we got back from Florida, but I was really only miserable for a day or so before my body kicked it and it was gone. There was a 24-hour period where I really wished I could take drugs, but it wasn't THAT bad.

My current cold (summer colds are the worst anyway, aren't they?) has been a whole different story.

My mom called me on Monday or Tuesday to tell me that she had suddenly come down with a really bad cold, and that she hoped I wouldn't get it (since I spent a good chunk of Sunday at her house with her, finishing the baby's bedding). I wasn't too worried, but sure enough, I woke up on Wednesday with the beginnings of a scratchy throat. Still, it wasn't bad.

By the time we did all of our HOURS of prep work for the carpet on Thursday night and got into bed, my throat was feeling pretty horrific. Not sore, but scratchy, and it was awful. I really could've benefited from some Nyquil, but since I had to go without, I was up ALL.NIGHT.LONG.

I hoped that the scratchy throat would just hurry up and turn into congestion already, but unfortunately, I spent yesterday trying to nurse the scratchy throat, too. I can only consume so many cough drops, people! As we were eating dinner and starting to get the house back together last night, I felt the scratchy throat begin to subside little by little... the price for the relief, however, was that my nose got stuffier and stuffier. By the time we were climbing into bed, I had developed a lovely cough and was blowing my nose pretty constantly.

And this morning, I woke up with a full-fledged cold. Niiiice.

The thing about the drugs is--when you're pregnant, you can take PLAIN Robitussin (no DM, or any of the good stuff) and PLAIN Sudafed (again, JUST pseudophedrine). And come on, we all know those don't do shit!

I have been trying to avoid taking medicine during pregnancy, but today, I was miserable enough where I just HAD to take something. Anything.

So I started treating my cough with the plain Robitussin. But I didn't have any plain Sudafed for my nasal congestion. Off to the pharmacy we went. Unable to find it on the shelves, I asked the pharmacist about it and he informed me that I'd have to buy it from behind the pharmacy counter. Since I used to work in a pharmacy years ago, I suspected this might be the case, but wasn't sure. So I go up to the cashier at the pharmacy and say I need to buy some plain ol' Sudafed. The kid says he needs my driver's license.

Like, an ID. To buy Sudafed.

The kid says to me, "People use this to make meth."

Suuuure. The meth-heads have to go and ruin it for all the miserable pregnant ladies out there. Figures.

And, pardon me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it seem a little backwards that the ONLY drug I can take while pregnant is the same drug that people use to make METH??

5 comments:

Anonymous,  June 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

Hello Heather! I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you start feeling well soon! Thanks for the good reads... I just love updating myself with your blogs!

Meghan June 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

Now your doctor maybe different but I was allowed to take some Tylenol products like night time and day time cough and cold. I had several colds since I was pregnant through the winter and my doctor told me that was okay to take. I would check with yours to see if you can but it worked wonders for me. Now that I am not pregnant I still take it because it worked better then Nyquil and Dayquil. Wish you a fast recovery. I know that colds when your pregnant are no fun. They seem to hit you twice as hard.

Sarah June 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

I feel your pain on that one, despite not being pregnant! I have chronic sinusitis, therefore a CONSTANTLY runny nose, and in Australia, on top of having to have ID to buy Sudafed, you can only buy three tablets at a time. At best, that's 36 hours of relief. Stupid meth heads ruining drugs for the rest of us :(

Emily,  June 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

One thing that really works for me when I'm congested (and trying to prevent congestion) is a Neti pot. I don't know if you've tried it yet, but it is basically a little teapot that you fill with water & a salt solution (provided in the box). You pour the water up your nose and it cleans out your sinuses. Sounds weird, but it REALLY works. My husband used to have congestion all the time and now he uses it regularly and has no problems. It's not really as uncomfortable as it sounds, either. They sell saline sprays also that you just spray up your nose, but I don't think those are as effective. Give it a try!! Hope you feel better!

Vanessa June 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

That is more than weird, it's downright CRAZY!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP