Sugar Mama

Friday, June 18, 2010

I've had a lot of pregnant women around me throughout my life. My cousins have several children among them. For seven years during high school/college, I worked in a pharmacy with mostly women, so I went through a lot of pregnancies with them, too. After college, friends started getting married and having babies. So, more pregnancies.


It probably goes without saying, then, that I've heard plenty of things about the glucose tolerance test. I thought I was pretty well educated about the process of the test, as well as the purpose of it.

I've heard that the glucose drink is gross. So when we had my last appointment with my doctor and she mentioned how I'd have to take the test before my next appointment, I asked her if she had any recommendations for which flavor to choose (I was offered fruit punch, orange, lemon, or lime). Her response was, "Blecchh, I don't know. They're all disgusting. I had fruit punch with one of my pregnancies and orange with the other, and I thought they were both nearly impossible to choke down."

I thought to myself, Greeeeat. But at the same time, I couldn't understand what the big deal was. Even if it's disgusting, it would undoubtedly go down pretty quickly. I mean, it's just a shot of sugar liquid, right?

And then I went to the front desk, where the woman handed me the actual drink. My mouth fell open.
TEN OUNCES, folks. It's a BOTTLE of sugar liquid. All this time, I had been preparing myself for a nasty SHOT (like an ounce or two), and they hand me a BOTTLE.

Ick. Ick. Ick.

Since I had to wait until between 26-28 weeks of pregnancy to complete the test, I gladly went home and shoved the bottle into my refrigerator. Procrastination is awesome. But every time I opened the fridge, there it was, staring me in the face. Mocking me.

I'll be 28 weeks next weekend, and we have a really busy week next week. I knew that I'd have to suck it up and get it over with this week, and quickly decided that today (a Friday) would be the day. Even though my doctor's office doesn't require fasting before the test (you just can't have anything to eat/drink after you take the glucose drink), I figured I wouldn't take any chances, choosing to drink the stuff on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.

And I'll tell you, I've been dreading it. Dreading it. So much so that my husband said he'd stick around a few extra minutes before he left for work so he could "hold my hand" (figuratively, not literally) while I drank it. He got it all ready for me while I got dressed, pouring it into a glass for me. Hesitantly, I came out from the bedroom to get started. Once you take the first sip, you have to finish the entire drink within five minutes.
This is me, pretending to be happy about this whole situation. That's a nervous smile, folks.

And then, I took my first sip.

OH MY GOD, people. It's not even BAD.

Call me crazy. Maybe it's because I've had a sweet tooth all my life. Or perhaps all those beer pong and flip cup games in college prepared me for chugging down stuff I didn't necessarily want to drink. (I know my mom is extremely proud right now, HA.) But seriously... the sugary orange concoction? NOT A BIG DEAL. As is true with many things in life, I got myself all worked up because of the hype, and the hype turned out to be just that--hype.
While it's certainly not something I would choose to drink, it went down pretty easily. It actually reminded me of those gallons of fruit drinks that we used to have during the summer as kids. Not KoolAid, but the pre-made, store-bought gallons that came in fruit punch, orange, and grape. I think they even served that stuff to us at Vacation Bible School.

About two minutes after I started drinking, I felt the baby start to practice somersaults in there. Pretty sure he/she enjoyed the sudden sugar rush.

After finishing the drink, I finished getting ready for work, packed up some cereal for myself to have at work after the blood draw, then headed to the lab. I waited around with the lab tech until it had been EXACTLY one hour since I had started the drink (Started: 7:57 a.m. Blood draw: 8:57 a.m.). A few vials of blood (which, if you're pregnant, you're completely used to by 27 weeks), and BOOM... done.

Now, let's just hope my results come back OK. If I have to give up carbs, I'm going to be pissed.

9 comments:

Laurel June 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

I didn't think the orange drink was that bad. I haven't ever been offered any of the other flavors though. I probably would have switched it up and tried something new since I've taken the test three freaking times this pregnancy. (And ended up with gestational diabetes, but you know...the diet isn't that bad.)

Cynthia June 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

I didn't get any choices but I had the orange I remember it wasn't bad at all!

Anonymous,  June 18, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

I'm horrified of needles - that's the main thing that scares me about getting pregnant someday...cause I know it's going to happen EVENTUALLY (still like several years down the road) but I'm going to be passing out all the time ;) I'll be the most hilarious pregnant lady ever, so kudos to you for makin it through not just the drink but also the many vials of blood! :)

Heather June 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

Laurel and Eric's Mommy--Clearly, I was talking to the wrong people. Wish I had heard from the two of you prior to getting all nervous about it! :) I actually read this morning from someone else that the fruit punch tastes like Hawaiian punch, so there's that for future reference. (If you ever get the choice.)

Bluewhitelife--I used to be terrified of needles but then I started forcing myself to donate blood regularly. And once you get yourself accustomed to donating blood, any needle stick you have after that seems like nothing. I've had my blood taken countless times during trying to get pregnant, then the pregnancy, so don't worry--you'll get used to it regardless! I still don't LOOK or anything, but I don't have anxiety about having to have blood drawn and the "pain" is just a little sting.

Anonymous,  June 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I complete agree -- the gross factor was totally overblown. Regardless, thinking low glucose levels for you so you don't have to undergo the dreaded 3-hour test!

~Kristen

Nicole June 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

I didn't think it was that bad either-someone told me it was like flat orange soda so I was prepared for it. It was way better than I thought though-people blow the taste out of proportion...or I just have a serious sweet tooth!

Beach Bum & Baby June 19, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't think it was that awful! I had the fruit punch (I don't even like fruit punch) but it wasn't really that gross! Sugary? Yea, but I like soda so it didn't seem much different!!

Good luck with your results!! I got mine right there at my doctors office and I was SO happy that I passed - I was really worried about having to give up cupcakes for the rest of the pregnancy (priorities, right?)!

:) I hope you have a great weekend!!

beachbumandbaby.blogspot.com
(Formerly LisLoves.blogspot.com)

Tiffany June 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

I didn't think it was bad either. Now, the 3 hour drink... that's another story. Blech.

Anonymous,  June 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

I had to do it when i started fertility testing. It was not bad at all. Everything i've read about it has been negative...that and the HSG. I was scared shitless for absolutely no reason. There needs to be more positivity out there!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP