Heavy Load

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tonight, I am feeling overwhelmed by my life.

We have a lot going on right now. Usually, I'm OK with it, as I'm used to being busy and I know to just take one thing at a time. And I know that's sound advice, which I have to follow.

But right now? Right now, I feel like I have a mountain of stress sitting in my chest. I can't breathe.

I'm feeling pressure to bust ass at work because I have my first performance review coming up next week.

I'm constantly worrying about the whole daycare situation. Trying to find candidates, get in touch with people, and set up meetings is time-consuming. It's already hard to think about leaving our child with a stranger. The whole situation weighs heavily on my mind.

We are getting new carpet installed throughout our house next week, so there is all the preparation for that--we want to paint the nursery (so we don't spill any paint on the new carpet!), and then we have to rip out all of the old carpet and padding. Oh, and we also have to move all of our furniture from room to room. So, we're essentially ripping apart our entire house. It's not a small project.

After the carpet is in, we want to finally get the nursery going. We have to get the crib and dresser over here somehow, then get those things put together.

I've tried to schedule childbirth classes (which I was really supposed to do like 6 weeks ago, apparently), but the lady in charge of them at my doctor's office won't call me back. Considering we're supposed to start them in a few weeks, I'm worried we're not going to get into a class. I also need to schedule the hospital tour/pre-registration session, and take a breastfeeding class.

I want to get together with my mom to finish the baby's bedding! It's hard to find time when we're both available to work on it.

...All of this, among other things. We also have all of the typical summer stuff to go to that occupies time. Family get-togethers, baby/bridal showers, birthdays, picnics, our annual weekend getaway to the Poconos, etc.

I would rather be busy than bored, especially this time of year. Plus, all of this stuff is actually really nice and generally fun, but it's just... A LOT of stuff.

So I'm overwhelmed. I wonder how it will all get done.

8 comments:

Bri June 16, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

Heather, My mom teaches a breast feeding class at Highland (I don't know what hospital your doctor is through, but I thought it might be helpful). I can get you the info if you want.

Heather June 16, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

Thanks, Bri. I'll have to look at my materials again, but if I need the info, I'll let you know!

Krystie June 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

Geez girl, SLOW down for a day and rest!

Also, I'm not sure you've considered this, but have you looked into getting an actual sitter/nanny to your house? They are so affordable now days, then baby could remain comfortable at home and still on schedule. I used to own a nanny agency, and I totally stand by them. Let me know if you want more info!

Good luck! And just remember, you're going to have a sweet little baby in your arms in just a few short months, and none of this other stuff will even matter then.

Anonymous,  June 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

I find it easier to deal with having way too much to do by actually scheduling time to do specific important things (obviously with the childbirth classes, you're TRYING to do that!)
I don't know anything about childcare, but my daycare person got arrested when I was like 13 for giving her kids cough medicine to knock them out - I still turned out okay because I had awesome parents (which I imagine you and Michael will be!) And remember, you can ALWAYS change childcare providers.

Natalie June 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

Hopefully it felt good just to lay it all out there in writing. Now you have to take a deep breath and tackle each task as you can. It'll all get done and thankfully you seem to have an awesome hubs and fam who will help you!

Hang in there!

Wishing on stars June 18, 2010 at 2:19 AM  

First of all I want to comment with Natalie. "Hopefully it felt good just to lay it all out there in writing." A lot of times for me this helps, granted it doesn't get anything done, but it helps to prioritize.
Take a deep breath. It seems the two most pressing issues are getting the painting done and finding a caregiver for your baby. Focus on those two mainly. As for the classes...try not to stress too much about them. If you don't get into one, there are a TON of videos you can checkout! You seem like such a confidant person, I believe (at least from your blog) that you could handle the videos just fine. If you really feel you need a class, check to see if there are any midwives, doulas or even an OB/GYN who might offer a class.

Then, for the summer family festivities, let other people handle them! Your very pregnant and therefore should be exempt from having to plan anything major :-) Just jot the date on your calendar, pick out your favorite outfit and just show up!

This response is ridiculously long, I'm sorry. I just hope it helps. :-)
Now, take another deep breath lol

Heather June 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Krystie--Someone else suggested a nanny in one of my previous posts, too. While I wouldn't say that we've completely ruled out the possibility, we think it's probably a little much to ask someone to come to our house and have to deal with our baby AND loud-mouthed Tessa. As much as we love her, she can certainly be a pain in the ass at times! I'm also not really sure where to look to find "reputable" people.

Thanks, everyone... It did feel good to just get it out. And now that I see it written down, it's sort of like a checklist that I feel like I can actually tackle. By last night, I was feeling much better about everything, and just EXCITED to meet our baby! :)

Krystie June 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Trust me heather a baby and a dog aren't bad AT ALL. I had a whole farm to look after plus 2 kids and cooking!

Anyway. Search Craigslist, and interview ( then ALWAYS complete background check on the one you choose)

There is this wesbite..http://www.4nanny.com/

For a baby, and a dog you would be looking at between $10.00-$12.00 per hour, or see if they will do a flat weekly rate!

Email me a krystiebolton25@gmail.com if you want my nanny checklist, background program, etc.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP