Down for the Count

Thursday, January 29, 2009

As if I wasn't already a slacker blogger this week... (I'm sorry.)

Our laptop died tonight. Or rather, it got very sick.

When I got home from work, I turned on the computer as normal. Had a couple of Internet Explorer windows open, just doin' my thang. And then, it froze up. I couldn't get it to do anything, so I had no choice but to do a hard restart (pressing and holding down the power button).

I tried to reboot it to no avail. We kept getting some error screen about how it couldn't restart properly, and we were asked to do a bunch of "repair scans" and such. No luck with those, either.

Called technical support, and I'll spare you all the details (it was such a pain in the ass), but the bottom line is: We have to send in our computer for repair. Apparently, our model is one of a few that were made with defective motherboards. The technical supervisor guy told us that the problems we're experiencing are most certainly a motherboard issue. LOVELY.

Oh, AND... when we send the computer in to get the motherboard replaced? Well, we're going to lose everything we have loaded on the computer. Programs, files, everything.

I'm feeling a pain in my ass, and its name is HEWLETT PACKARD.

Thankfully, though, HP is fixing it for free, so I am trying not to whine too much. Also, we've been pretty good about backing up our files to our external hard drive and DVDs, so losing all the files and stuff? Not the end of the world. Plus, Michael is going to take the laptop into work tomorrow and have his IT guys help transfer the files off of the hard drive before we send it in.

My biggest complaint is the obvious: We're going to be without our laptop for ~2 weeks. So this begs the question: What the hell am I going to do with myself? Luckily, I'm going to be pretty busy these next couple of weeks. But still!

I'm in mourning. Or withdrawls.

Or worse--mourning AND withdrawls.

3 comments:

Abbie January 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

They SHOULD be able to pull files from your hard drive before flattening. I would ask them to pull your my docs, etc. specifically!

Anonymous,  January 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

awe! Take this opportunity to get some good TV watching in? Maybe some baking? or...you could actually
( now here's the hard part) spend time with the hubby, with no electronics! ( phew!)

GL!

Anonymous,  January 30, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

This past fall our laptop had something strange happen to it as well...I was using it, and then all of a sudden, it wasn't happy.

We ended up losing the hard drive (luckily we keep just about everything on our desktop, but I lost all my wedding related lists and such), bought a new hard drive, and now run Linux instead of windows. But we went out and bought some sort of backup hard drive thing that has 2 backup hard drives, in case one of the backups goes.

So I definitely feel your pain!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP