Mr. President

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Today is an awesome day.


I have never experienced an inauguration the way it is meant to be experienced. I was only 10 years old when Bill Clinton was sworn into office, and although I have very clear memories of watching it (I was home from school and spending the day at my grandma's), I was too young to understand the magnitude of it.

And in January 2001, when George W. Bush was inaugurated, I was still disgusted over the controversial results of the election. As wrong as it may be, I just didn't care.

Today, I was moved to tears (for the first, but not the last time), not by Obama walking out of the tunnel, but instead by a shot of the crowd cheering wildly and waving all of their flags.

I love America.

And today, I watched as the man that I believe in--Barack Hussein Obama--was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America. I have been rooting for him, supporting him, and getting to know him for two years. And on Election Night, our country spoke out in his favor. And finally, now, it is official. If I hadn't just watched it with my own eyes, I may not even believe it. In a lot of ways, it seems surreal.

Now begins the true test. To see what President Obama can do for this country. He is definitely receiving the country in worse shape than it has been in a long time, and so I believe my expectations of him are realistic. I do not expect him to be able to work miracles, but I still allow myself to hope that he can. Only time will tell.

For today, I want him to enjoy the celebration in his honor. Just like every other president before him, he deserves it. Tomorrow morning, it's time for work. Hopefully a long eight years of work.

Congratulations, Mr. President.

I couldn't end this post without giving a little love to the Obama girls. Look how cute they are in their little outfits:

I have a special soft spot for Sasha, since she always seems to melt me in some way or another. Here she is, giving her dad a thumbs up. Adorable.

I think we are in for a great treat, having this family in the White House. I think his wife and children make President Obama a better man, and I think they will make him a better president. The decisions he makes will directly affect the future of those little girls. He has made it pretty clear that much of his focus is on improving this country for the sake of his daughters, and the rest of us certainly benefit from that.

I can't wait to see what can be done.

(All photos in this post from Getty Images)

4 comments:

Vanessa January 20, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

I may be British but I love America so much and hope to make it my home one day.
I am beyond proud and happy that this day has come, a day I doubted would ever arrive.
I agree - it is unfair to expect Obama to sort out such a huge mess quickly. But irrespective of tangible achievements, he brings an honesty and integrity that are so necessary to American politics and, for once, I believe that he believes in what he is doing, that he believes in and loves America.
I am so happy for America today - I feel overwhelmingly that it is time for change and that if anyone can achieve it, your new President, the world's new President, can.
Happy inauguration day!

Dana January 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

I totally agree with you. It is a wonderful day.

jenn January 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

I'm so excited, too!

I love the new first family, and the girls are adorable.

Anonymous,  January 21, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

Not only am I glad we have a new president who gives so many hope, I'm glad he has a really great family. His daughters are beyond adorable, and his wife is going to be the stylish matriarch that the White House has been missing for some time now...it's so fun to be part of a society that pays attention to what the first lady is wearing, since I wasn't anywhere near being around Jackie O.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP