Saturday, January 3, 2009
We started making this pizza a couple of years ago. The first time we made it, we were completely impressed with ourselves, even though there is really no skill involved at all. :) It's just such a good pizza! Sometimes, you're just in the mood for an alternative to the regular ol' Italian pizza.
Tonight, playoff football is on, so we wanted to make some "football food." It's been a while since we've had this pizza, so this was the perfect choice. It totally hit the spot.
You can obviously make this with pretty much any pizza crust. Homemade, store bought, refrigerated dough, or you can go the easiest route possible (we do): a pre-made and pre-cooked Boboli!
- Boboli Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (or crust/dough of your choice)
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped lettuce
- 1/2 tomato, diced
Other optional toppings: Sliced olives, jalapenos, onions, sour cream (obviously don't add until after it comes out of the oven!), etc. Pretty much anything you like on your tacos.
1. In skillet, brown ground beef. Add packet of taco seasoning with water (follow taco seasoning packet instructions).
Note: The back of the seasoning packet will tell you that the packet should be used with 1 lb. of ground beef, as opposed to the 1/2 lb. used in this recipe. Disregard this... by adding more taco seasoning/water than is called for with that amount of beef, you'll be creating a bit of extra sauce that is necessary to cover the whole pizza.
2. While beef is simmering to thicken the sauce, preheat oven according to directions for your crust (for Bobolis, it is 450 degrees).
3. Once beef is done, spread it over the prepared crust. Top with cheese. Place pizza in oven to bake according to directions for your crust (Bobolis only take 8-10 minutes).
4. During the last 5 minutes of baking time, remove pizza from oven to add lettuce, tomato, and any additional toppings onto your pizza. Place pizza back into oven for remaining 5 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before cutting.