Incredible.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Within the last half hour of work, Michael sent me a link to CNN's homepage. I clicked through to see a "Breaking News" headline--US Airways Flight 1549 Crashes into Hudson River. At the time, there was not any other information available, and I immediately thought the worst.

But now we know everyone survived. Absolutely astonishing.


I've been watching the news coverage on CNN since I got home from work, and I keep getting the goosebumps. The mayor and governor talking about the miraculous landing by the pilot. It sounds as if this guy single-handedly managed to save everyone's lives. They said he walked up and down the aisle to ensure every passenger was off the plane before getting off himself. Of course, that's his job, but I still find it to be commendable.

I've seen a few interviews with passengers. They say that before the crash, the pilot came over the PA and told everyone "Brace yourselves for impact." Can you imagine? If I ever heard my pilot come over and say that, I would assume I was breathing my last breaths.

On a somewhat lighter note, I think I need to start paying attention when the flight attendants give the safety schpeel at the beginning of every flight. I've always been of the mindset that I don't really get the point. I've always thought that if we're going down, I'm not going to survive long enough to use the emergency information.

This just goes to show that anything is possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  January 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

I work in NYC... so we heard all about it at work... needless to say there were cop cars & ambulances EVERYWHERE on the west side highway!
Anyway, I don't know if you've heard yet, but the flight took off from LaGuardia, so luckily it wasn't that high in the air when it flew into a flock of geese! Unbelievable! And scary!

Laura January 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

i always count the number of rows to the exit from my seat when i fly. just in case.

Heather January 17, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

I watched a special Dateline NBC episode about this whole thing last night. Tears! I still can't get over how amazing it all is.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP