Hello, 2009!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Let me just start by wishing you all an official HAPPY NEW YEAR! I wonder how long it will take me to come to terms with the fact that it's actually 2009. Hmph.

Last night, we went to a party thrown by some of our friends. The crowd started off small:

But it grew as the night progressed. As you can see, there was a 70s theme established for the evening. Some of the costumes were pretty hilarious.

My Oreo truffles and cookie cake were big hits; someone actually asked me if I did that kind of stuff for a living (I wish!).

We spent most of the evening singing along and dancing to Time Warner's 70s Hit Music station. We turned on Dick Clark (or Ryan Seacrest, actually) long enough to watch the ball drop. Around 1:00 a.m., our friend Daniel made a surprise appearance. We all thought he was stuck in Connecticut (where he lives), but as it turned out, he and his girlfriend drove the 5-6 hours after work just to get to our party to see everyone.

Michael and I left to head home a little after 2:00 a.m. It was the first New Year's Eve that we've ever actually slept at home, and I gotta tell you--it was sooo nice.

To commemorate the New Year, I'm going to steal a questionnaire that I saw over at Jenny's blog, which she recently renamed "Charity Mom" (was formerly Mama's on a Playdate). So here goes:

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Got married!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't tell you the last time I actually even made resolutions. I guess this question is a big ol' NOT APPLICABLE for me.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A better question for me would probably be who DIDN'T give birth.

Just kidding. My friend Theresa had a baby boy, Rowan; my friend Kristin had a baby girl, Emma; and my friend Bethany had a baby girl, Ryanne. We had a couple of other births, too, but these were the closest to me.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. Thank God.

5. What countries did you visit?
I went to Canada a couple of times this year, but other than that, we stayed in the good ol' USA. Though we did venture to the very far-reaching corners of our own country when we went to Hawaii for our honeymoon!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More relaxation and free time. The first six months of 2008 were a whirlwind. It only calmed down after the wedding!

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 21 -- Our wedding day!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Planning my dream wedding. I know that's probably a pretty shallow achievement, but it was a lot of work, and it totally paid off.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not finding complete satisfaction on a professional level.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No. Once again, thank God. The only illness or injury that actually comes to mind was a deep cut I got on the coral in Kauai. The only reason I even think of that is because if actually left a scar on my knee... but it's not a bad thing; it's a daily reminder of the best vacation EVER!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The best money spent was honestly the wedding and Hawaii. But if we're talking true material things, it's gotta be our HDTV and new TV stand. Total upgrade!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Our families and friends were all great to us this year. They helped make our wedding and the start of our marriage the best it could possibly be. (I'm going to go ahead and apologize right now for the wedding/honeymoon being a part of so many of these answers.)

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I can't think of anyone. Thankful for this as well.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Haha! The wedding, of course. And the Hawaiian tourism industry received a pretty good chunk, too.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting married and taking our honeymoon. (Damn, this was the wrong year to complete this questionnaire!)

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. It's an oldie, and it wasn't our wedding song. But it was one of the absolute MOST MEMORABLE moments at our wedding reception. I'll never be able to hear that song without flashing back to dancing and belting out the lyrics at the top of our lungs, surrounded by all of our closest family and friends.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Happier. b) thinner or fatter? Pretty much the same. Maybe a pound or two thinner. c) richer or poorer? Also pretty much the same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I could probably always use more exercise. Also, I didn't ski at all in 2008. And I only rode my bike a couple of times, which wasn't nearly enough.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Hmm, I don't know. I can't think of anything.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Split between our families. It was nice.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Nope, that was in 2002. :)

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Well, Grey's sucked this year. So maybe Top Chef?

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't really "hate" anyone, but even so, I think the answer to this is no.

24. What was the best book you read?
The Time Traveler's Wife

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Discovery? I have no idea.

26. What did you want and get?
New flooring in the kitchen and dining area. New TV. BlackBerry.

*whispers* And an awesome wedding and honeymoon!

27. What did you want and not get?
A big salary raise. HAHA!

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably The Dark Knight.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We spent the day taking a really long bike ride along the Erie Canal. We stopped for my favorite ice cream (or, if we're being specific, frozen custard!). Once home, we showered and went out to dinner at a little place in the Village. The weather was absolutely perfect--not too hot, which was awesome for August--and we were able to sit outside. I loved it. Oh, and I turned 26.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I can't think of a thing that could have made it better. Everything that matters was fantastic.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Whatever fit well and was affordable. I don't think I really ever have a fashion "concept." I'm actually not even sure I know what this means.

32. What kept you sane?
Being able to vent to my husband, mom, or friends.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Barack Obama

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
HAHAHAHAHA. Oh, that's funny. For crying out loud, what political issue DIDN'T ruffle my feathers. The entire election process (10+ months!) stirred me. It stirred me big time.

35. Who did you miss?
I missed some of the friends and family members who were unable to make it to our wedding.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Wow, it's hard to think of someone that I just met in 2008. Maybe my friends' new babies? :)

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
The whole thing with Tessa and living 2+ weeks believing she had cancer... that taught us--or rather, reminded us--that life is precious, and even when things aren't going exactly as planned, there is always much to be thankful for.

I wish you all a fabulous 2009!

3 comments:

Laura January 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

that last picture of you and michael is great!

by the way, i tried your recipe for slim sloppy joe's and it was delicious! i've added it to my cookbook!

N. January 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

Looks, and sounds, like a great year. Happy '09!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP