DIY Crib Bedding - A Sneak Peek

Sunday, May 9, 2010

We had a pretty good Mother's Day in these parts. Even though I'm not officially a mother yet, I still received a lot of well wishes from others, and my mom even got me a little gift (a nice cardigan for summer).

Oh, and for all of the mothers out there... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

We treated my mom to lunch, then took a drive to a large Joann Fabrics store together. I've been wanting to go shop for fabric for the baby's bedding, but haven't yet, since I've been needing my mom's help! She's the sewing expert in the family, and also has an eye for this stuff. I'd like to think I have an eye for it, too, but I can also be indecisive, so I needed a second opinion. Michael was a good sport and came along, and it was nice to have him weigh in as well. Too boy, too girl... we needed to strike a balance.

As a team, we picked out a bunch of different fabrics that we thought might work, then laid them out and put together several combinations until we came up with "the one." It's hard to make decisions like this, because I've had so many different ideas floating around in my head for so long that it feels a little strange to finally pick just one. We actually ended up with something a little different than I was originally picturing, but I love it!


Here are the fabrics we'll be using for the bumper (don't worry, we're not going to use it for the first several months, since we're well aware it's an increased SIDS risk) and the crib skirt. For the crib sheets, we'll be picking out coordinating solid colors from Babies 'R' Us. As previously discussed, we plan to paint the walls a shade of aqua blue. It's funny, because after originally trying to stay away from green and yellow, we came back to green and yellow. But we came back to it in a way that I think is different than what is traditional, bringing in the aqua blue as well.

Also, the nursery furniture is in already! Holy crap, JCPenney is FAST! Now the only problem is that I'm super excited to get started on everything, but we're not ready to give up our den yet. :( So, I'll have to hold back until at least Memorial Day weekend before I set myself loose. We figure it's probably a good idea to put together the crib and double-check the measurements before making the bedding, even though we have a pattern we can use. I don't want to spend all of that time only to find out our crib is a little different, you know?

My mom and I are going to schedule a day to get together to crank out the bedding. I'll make sure to take a bunch of pictures of the process and eventually post about it, but I'm not sure I'll do it until after the big, finished nursery reveal. Until then... this sneak peek may be all that you get! :)

P.S. After two weeks of being behind and trying to catch up on my blog, I am FINALLY caught up!

8 comments:

Gia May 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Love the combo! Part of me wants to make the bedding, but part of me is really scared, lol.

Sara May 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM  

looking forward to the big reveal!

Anonymous,  May 10, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

I love the colors - I really need to finish learning how to quilt because that color combo is gorgeous :) (and it could totally pass for non-babies too!)

Megan May 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

Oh I love the fabric selections :)

Heather May 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Thanks, guys! I'm so excited. :)

Wishing on stars May 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM  

I totally know what you mean about picking just one color. I had the same problem with the wedding. I had so many ideas that when I picked something it felt weird. lol

I love the colors, very pretty! And how sweet that your mother will be making them!

Crystal May 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

I was just wondering how the quality of the furniture is...or if you've even had a chance to look. I think we're going to get ours from Penneys also.

travel cot mattress April 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM  

I love the colors! it is so cute!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP