3D Dinosaur Cake

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Several weeks ago, Kara told me that the theme for Hunter's 1st birthday party was going to be dinosaurs. She asked if I'd be willing to make invitations and the cake. I readily agreed.

When it came time to plan for the cake, I googled for ideas and came across the perfect cake--a 3D dinosaur cake! I was a little intimidated by all of the carving that was required, but it didn't seem too bad, so I decided to give it a try. The result?


The dinosaur is made with two 9-inch cakes, cut and pieced together to make up the dinosaur. The spikes are made of fondant, dyed orange, cut into diamond shapes, and dried until stiff. The dinosaurs eyes are yellow sprinkles that I had in my cupboard, and although you can't see them, he has toenails made of chocolate chips.

Frosted and decorated, it all makes for a pretty awesome looking cake. For instructions and additional photos, I'm going to send you right to my source. I followed their directions and studied their photos, and recreated their template in order to carve the cake.

Since I believe that all 1-year-olds should have their own smash cake, I also made an extra 6" round cake and then carved it into the shape of an egg. I decorated it to be a "dinosaur egg," and placed it on the cake board for display with the dinosaur. Some fondant water and some buttercream grass, and the look was complete. Very proud of this cake!

The party turned out great, and fun was had by all (especially the birthday boy). Pictures to come tomorrow...

7 comments:

Gia May 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

Adorable! I haven't done a cake in ages!

Gaynor {Our Day by Design} May 24, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

That cake is fab!

I so want to try making one for my nephews 1st birthday but not sure I could transport it!

Life of a Doctor's Wife May 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

That looks fantastic! I'm always so impressed by your cake-making skills.

Vanessa May 24, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

That is amazing and you will be an incredible Mom! Can you believe I am transporting my wedding cake from Guernsey to Israel? There may be no cake! xxxx

Stacey September 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

Heather, I love this cake! I'm going to try a similar one, but I'm wondering what did you cover the cake board with? Thanks, great job!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP