Recent Read: Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Thursday, May 27, 2010

First things first--Which of you do I have to blame for recommending this book to a pregnant woman? BAD NEWS, my friends. I read this book on our trip to Florida, and spent the majority of our flight home choking back sobs and trying to hide my steadily falling tears. I guess I should be grateful I was in the window seat! So yeah, whoever you are (I know there were a few of you)... THANKS A LOT! ;)

Firefly Lane is the story of lifelong friendship. Two young girls--Kate, an introverted outcast at school, and Tully, a beautiful, social butterfly--cross paths when Tully moves in across the street from Kate in 1974. Both girls (who are 14 years old) have something missing in their lives that they are looking to fill--and they find something special in each other.

The book spans a 30-year time period, during which we witness the ebbs and flows of Kate and Tully's relationship. Their friendship is far from perfect--Tully takes and takes and takes, rather selfishly, and as a reader, it can be frustrating at times. I sometimes found myself wondering why Kate put up with any of it, as she was a much better friend to Tully than Tully ever was to her. However, I came to realize that this is true of so many real-life relationships. As outsiders, we often look at relationships and can't understand how they work... but somehow, they do.

Tully's goal in life is to be rich, successful, and famous, and she is tremendously driven when it comes to her career. In contrast, Kate graduates college without the same fire in her belly--what Kate longs for is to find true love, get married, and raise a family. Through the turns of the pages, we follow Tully through her professional victories and Kate through her journey to love. And their friendship withstands it all. Eventually, however, their relationship is put to the test. Will it survive?

The book is long, but engaging. I had no problem starting and finishing this book on our vacation, and I really looked forward to getting out to the pool to read it every day. Although I have many close friends in my life, I don't have a "BFF" (besides my mom!) like Tully and Kate are to each other. As someone who doesn't have a relationship like that, I found it fascinating and touching to read about one. I think a lot of us long for that kind of a deep connection with a friend.

All in all, this is a beautifully written novel and I highly recommend it as an addition to your summer reading lists!

4 comments:

Michelle,  May 28, 2010 at 5:03 AM  

I've been looking for a good book to pick up, and this seems perfect! I've got it on hold at the library. Thanks for posting a review--can't wait to read!

Amanda May 28, 2010 at 7:31 AM  

I listened to this book on audio. Once I got to the emotional parts, I had to turn it off or else I'd be bawling as I drove to work--not safe! So, I ended up listening to the ending while decorating a cake, probably also not a good idea. Either way, glad you enjoyed it!

Blue&White May 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

Uh oh, I think I was the one to blame for that! But...I don't THINK I knew you were pregnant at the time! it is my fav. though, I just gave a copy to the boyfriend's mom for Mother's Day, haha...

Vanessa May 30, 2010 at 12:47 AM  

Ohhh, your review really made me want to read this - particularly as with the wedding in Israel I've been so touched that my best friends have come... but have also encountered takers and not givers and - incredibly rarely for me I ended a freindship because I was sick of only ever giving.
The wedding is TODAY! Waiting to go to the hair / makeup studio! Very happy but also very calm! So nice to relax and read your blog! xxx

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP