Ruh-Roh

Saturday, May 8, 2010


We had to leave Tessa at home for several hours today while we attended a funeral about an hour away from here. We weren't gone for an abnormally long time--it was actually shorter than a typical work day.

The Little Girl managed to get herself into a little bit of trouble, though! Although she's four years old, we still crate her when she's home alone, since she still can't be trusted not to get into things she shouldn't.

When we got home and I went to let her out, I noticed she was all wrapped up her blankets. This isn't unusual, especially when it's cold (and boy, is it cold!). But as she tried to come out, I realized she was struggling a little bit. It took me just a few seconds to realize that she had chewed/ripped a big hole in her blanket, then at some point, tried to fit through said hole. She managed to get her head, neck, chest, and one of her front legs through, but then got stuck. She was pitiful! I had to struggle to get it back up over her head to get it off of her. It was funny, though, because she had clearly given up on trying to get herself out and just laid down to relax. Who knows how long she was wrapped up like that!

It actually scares us a little, because now we worry she could hurt herself. But we can't very well remove the blankets, either, as she loves to be able to burrow and snuggle up with them. Since she's had four years of crate time without issue, we're going to chalk this one up to a freak accident, but I'm going to be monitoring the holes in her blankets a lot more closely now!

5 comments:

Sara May 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

sounds like a freak accident to me too, I wouldn't be too worried about it

that picture is wonderful btw. Tessa reminds me of my grandparents old daschund Mozart. It makes me want to get one for myself someday!

elizabethashleyphoto May 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

We had a similar accident with our dachshund a few weeks ago while we were gone all day at a wedding.

The dogs have little carpet pads in their houses, and apparently they chewed them all up and they got pretty raggedy. My little Bailey somehow got her back leg tangled up in the carpet threads and couldn't get out. When we got home, we found her freaked out in her house and she was like gnawing at her foot trying to get the carpet off. She was soaked (I guess from all the biting and licking), and the circulation had been cut off in her leg. We had to cut the carpet off with a pocket knife, and thank goodness her leg wasn't broken. It took her a while before she would put weight on her leg (I'm assuming it was "waking up"), but she was back to her normal self the next morning.

I had that same awful feeling of how long she might have been like that, and what if we'd been gone for a couple hours longer, or what if we hadn't gone outside to check on the dogs right away...

Really scary, and of course the carpets have been thrown away, but thankfully everything was ok!

Anonymous,  May 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

I don't want to scare you but just as a cautionary tale... I have had doxies my whole life and one of them managed to get herself wrapped up in a blanket while we were camping and suffocated. These dogs just burrow and it can be dangerous. Just be careful.

Heather May 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

Oh, geez! Those are both scary stories (Elizabeth and Anonymous)!

Wishing on stars May 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Aside from the scary stories in the comments, your post made me laugh out loud! I bet it was pretty funny to see her like that.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP