Grilled Vegetables

Saturday, August 2, 2008

This isn't so much a recipe as it is an idea that I wanted to share.

In April, I received a grill pan at my shower. Shortly after, we decided to put it to use by grilling a variety of vegetables in it. Since we hadn't really ever grilled vegetables before (except on kabobs), we didn't really know how to season them. We wanted to keep them as healthy as possible, so I wanted to try to stay away from marinating them (although, you can get some pretty low-calorie, low-fat marinades, if that floats your boat).

Instead, I took little bits of advice from several different people and "recipes," and made up our own combination of spiced-up vegetable goodness. Now, we absolutely love these veggies and make them every time we grill.

Tonight, we marinated some chicken breast pieces in an herb and garlic marinade (bottled, made by Ken's), made some corn on the cob and couscous, and then grilled our veggies. Delicious meal!

Seasoned Grilled Vegetables

Vegetables (these can obviously be adjusted to meet your preferences):
- 1 onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 can white potatoes (whole), cut into smaller chunks
- 1 zucchini, cut into quarters and then into thin slices
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, cut into small chunks
- 5-6 mushrooms, sliced

Sometimes, we do red pepper as well. Other vegetables that would be good--yellow squash, carrots, or green and yellow peppers. Use your imagination... make what you like!

Once you have sliced up all of your vegetables, combine them in a large bowl.

Seasoning:
I do not use measurements for any of this. I just kind of throw stuff in there, and it turns out delicious every time. Experiment with it a little, and use more or less of each to fit your taste. I use dry seasonings, but obviously fresh herbs would be fabulous as well.

- Olive oil (I drizzle it)
- Basil
- Oregano
- Parsley
- Garlic powder
- Salt
- Pepper

I use my hands to toss the vegetables to coat them all evenly. We then throw them into the grill pan and Michael grills them until they are tender, but still have a little bit of bite to them. They take a little longer on the grill than you might expect. We actually start the veggies cooking before we put the meat on.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Linda August 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

I love sprinkling olive oil and Old Bay seasoning on veggies before grilling them. Sometimes I add little lemon.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP