Interesting tactic, McCain

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First it was Joe Biden. Now it's Hillary Clinton.

Basically, John McCain's camp has utilized them to do his dirty work for him.

I will admit, it is pretty smart. McCain can take a break from bashing Obama (we'll see how long that lasts) by instead using the words of Obama's former rivals against him.

The ad with Biden shows a clip of Senator Biden saying he will stand behind his statement that Barack Obama is not ready to be President of the United States.



The "Passed Over" ad that features Hillary tries to accomplish three things, as far as I can tell:
1) To imply that Obama betrayed Democrats by not picking Hillary as VP.
2) Further question Obama's ability to be President, using Hillary's words.
3) Try to turn Hillary supporters against Obama, and therefore gain more votes for himself.



Again, I say... smart.

But out of all the (probably) thousands of political ads I have seen in my time, these ones really bother me. I know that a main reason is because I am an Obama supporter. I just can't help but be annoyed by it.

All of these statements by Biden and HRC are taken out of context. Little snippets from here and there, all things that were said during the primary season. They were all competing against each other for the same job. Of course they were all doing their best to point out the potential flaws of each of their competitors, and Obama was one of them. Of course they were going to nitpick Obama's policies, lack of experience, etc. They were trying to win primary elections! They were on the road to trying to win the job as President of the United States!

There was a widely distributed and frequently played clip of HRC yesterday telling a crowd of her supporters (about McCain's ad), "I am Hillary Clinton, and I DO NOT approve this message." It must be extremely frustrating for someone to take your words and try to use them against the person you are now supporting. I'm glad she spoke out about it... especially to the supporters who McCain is trying so hard to recruit over to his side.

I think what I find most frustrating is that this tactic could EASILY be used against McCain as well. Having fellow Democrats speak out against Barack in the primary season is not unique. Republicans spoke out against Republicans. You think Romney, Huckabee, and the like weren't nitpicking McCain as well? Of course they were; it's what they had to do to try to win votes.

It sounds like Romney is on the very short list of running mates for McCain. Go back to the Republican primary debates and listen to all Romney had to say about John McCain. I think Romney actually said that McCain will destroy America. Well jeez, as long as we're talking about votes of confidence in the candidates...

Honestly, I hate political ads altogether. Especially the negative ones. I know they come with the territory, but I'd rather concentrate on debating the issues than listen to politicians sling mud back and forth.

I post stuff like this not to force my political beliefs onto others. I just need an outlet to vent about the things going on in my head, and I also really enjoy discussing politics (with both Democrats and Republicans! Shocking, I know!). If you have a different view, certainly let me know in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP