Hillary and McCain -- Not the Same

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

While we're on the subject...

Last night, on my local news, there was an elderly gentleman who was a Hillary supporter. He was all about Hillary. He was wearing a Hillary hat, an "I *heart* Hillary" t-shirt, etc. He claims he has never voted Republican in his entire life (he looked to be in his 80s); always Democrat. You may be asking yourself, why was this man on the news? Well, it's because he's now voting for John McCain. Why? Because he wants Hillary to be able to run again in 2012.

Talk about getting my blood boiling. Holy crap. What kind of ass backwards thinking is this?!

(Not to mention: I'm not sure that particular gentleman will be alive in 2012. Just sayin'.)

I absolutely cannot understand the Hillary supporters who are switching over and voting for McCain. I know Barack Obama is not every Democrat's candidate of choice. I'll even say that there is probably a Democrat out there who would be better suited for the job. But the fact of the matter is, this is our Democratic nominee. He is who we have to work with this time around. I understand the concerns about his experience, I do. But to vote McCain?

I just don't get how people get from Point A (Hillary) to Point B (McCain?!?). Maybe I am blind and deaf here, but during the Democratic primary debates, I was struck by the similarities between Obama and Clinton. They seemingly wanted very similar things, just had different ways of getting there. I live in New York and as you know, Hillary is one of our senators. I have never been a big fan of hers, but I sure as hell would have voted for her if she had been chosen as the Democratic nominee.

Truthfully, I find all of this to be pretty scary.

For the Hillary supporters who are now voting McCain, I have to ask why they were voting for Hillary in the first place. If it was based on the fact that her beliefs were in line with their beliefs, it seems like a no-brainer that Obama would now be the candidate of choice.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I love debating politics. I enjoy talking to people who have different outlooks on things than I do, and I never bash anyone for their beliefs. So please don't be offended by what I write if you don't agree with me. I put all of this out there for the sake of discussion. Go ahead and comment and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  August 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM  

I was blown away when I read your post - a friend of mine said she was going to do the same thing! I couldn't believe it when she said that this election was "all about strategy"! What kind of strategy is that?!?! I'm with you, Heather, it doesn't make ANY sense at all, and I'm hoping that it's only a small minority of people who view politics so backwardly!

Anonymous,  August 27, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

I agree with you. I don't get this whole experience factor either. Bush had 4 years of presidential experience prior to the 2004 election. He took all of that ‘experience’ and debilitated our country. Obama is the leader we need!

Dana September 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

I have heard the same thing as well. I think that Hillary said it best when she said, "Are you voting for my name or for Democratic principles." I think that persons that are Hillary supports who are not going to vote for McCain do not really stand up for Democratic principles. I know that everyone keeps saying Obama does not have that much experience, but what about McCain's running mate. She is a 2 term governor, not even a senator. Think that people who would not vote for an african-american will not vote for a woman. For people must realize that if something happens to McCain that she will be president. This election is going to really interesting, but I do not think that I can afford 8 more years of the same.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP