Wilton Course I, Class 2

Friday, August 8, 2008

I didn't blog about my first cake decorating class (on Monday) because we didn't do too much. We learned the basics on how to ice a cake smoothly, how to make different consistencies of buttercream frosting, how to set up a bag for piping, etc. I knew some of it already, and some of it I didn't. It was a good first class.

Our "homework" to complete before the second class involved baking a cake, icing it, and bring different consistency frostings, and different colored frostings, to class. Can I just say that all of that prep work resulted in me spending 4+ hours in the kitchen on Tuesday night? It was pretty intense!

I spruced up a box cake mix by adding in a 3.5 oz. box of instant pudding, an extra egg, and some meringue powder. It was really moist! I used chocolate pudding as a filling in between the two layers. I had some trouble smoothing out the yellow icing. You are supposed to wait until the frosting "sets" a bit, and then you can flatten out any lines with wax or parchment paper. No matter how long I let it sit, the frosting never seemed to harden! It kept coming off on my paper. Annoying. But eventually, it was as good as it was going to get.

So, for the second class on Thursday, we practiced some different techniques with different tips on our practice boards, and then we got to work on our cakes. Technically, Class 2 is the "rainbow cake" that you often see people doing. Fortunately, my instructor is not at all "by the book," so we are allowed to do whatever we want each class, as long as we incorporate the techniques that she is teaching.

I went online and found a simple flower design and printed it out to bring to class. We learned how to do a design transfer with wax paper and piping gel, and then I got going outlining the designs in buttercream, and then filling them in with the star tip.

We are having friends over tonight (two other married couples). Since both of them are expecting babies--one a boy on September 4, the other a girl on October 21--I decided to make the cake baby colors.

I am pretty happy with the end result. Not the prettiest cake I've ever seen, but definitely the best thing I have ever done with frosting. :)




My third class is on Monday, and I have to make another cake and some more frosting for it. Looks like I'll be spending some time in the kitchen this weekend!

**Update** Our friends were over and loved the cake. But I still have like half a cake left. What the heck am I going to do with all of this cake I'm going to be making over the next week? Jeez. Anyone want half a cake? Free to the first bidder. :)

4 comments:

Amy August 10, 2008 at 9:57 PM  

Your cake looks great!!

As far as half a cake goes, you can slice it up into individual slices and freeze each slice in freezer bags if you would like to. Sometimes, I just bring slices to coworkers too..they gobble up free cake! :)

Anonymous,  August 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM  

Oh, I LOVE IT!!!! What a GREAT JOB!!!

Cate August 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM  

Very cute cake! I'm impressed.

Anonymous,  August 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

You did a beautiful job decorating! It looks perfect - love the colors! I can't wait to see more of your cakes.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP