Shredding

Thursday, July 23, 2009

I've finally hopped on the bandwagon.

That's right, folks. I'm talking about the 30 Day Shred.

I intended to buy this DVD sometime back in June, but then all of a sudden, it was July. Whoops. And then July was half over, and I realized that I had been out of my twice-weekly aerobics classes for more than a month already. Um, whoops again.

I don't want to have to start all over with my endurance when I get back into the aerobics classes in the fall, so I needed to do something. I just typically hate going to the gym on weekdays, and the weekends have been super busy, so I thought perhaps Jillian Michaels was the answer. I love her on The Biggest Loser (I would sooo pick her over Bob), so if anyone could kick my ass through my TV screen, I figured it'd be her.

I've never really been a "fitness DVD" type of person, so when I kept reading about how great a workout this is, I was skeptical. Only 25 minutes? And it's a full workout? Really?

But then I saw another person singing its praises. And another. And another. And so on. You get the picture.

So I caved. I bought it.

I started it Monday, so as of now, I've successfully completed three days of the 30 Day Shred. I am on Day 4 (to be completed later today, even though I'm beyond exhausted and would like to just take a nap).

It's working out pretty well so far. It's short enough so that I can actually talk myself into doing it daily, yet it's tough enough to make me feel like I've really done something. Couple the hard work with my 80-degree house and I'm sweating like crazy by the end of it.

Admittedly, I tend to breeze right through the cardio portions. And honestly, I'd be worried if I didn't. I'm accustomed to having my ass kicked for a full hour by my aerobics instructor. You wouldn't know it from looking at her, but my petite little Marcie packs a mean punch. (She even pulled "a Jillian" on us once and yelled, "You can faint, puke, or DIE--but you can't QUIT!" Um, yeah. She's scary.)

On the other hand, I find that most of the strength portions, even where I'm at--Level 1--are quite challenging. Some moves are easier than others. The forward lunges, coupled with bicep curls? Not bad. Again, I'm thanking Marcie and her 1,000 lunges and/or squats per class for that one. But the side lunges with the arm raises? Holy @*$%. Those hurt.

On Tuesday (the morning after Day 1), I was really feeling it in the crooks of my arms. On Wednesday, I still felt it in my arms, but felt a bit sore in my abs and legs, too. Today? I'm feeling pretty damn good, actually. Progress?

I think that for this first 30 days, I'm going to follow the "schedule," and stick with Level 1 for 10 days, then move to Level 2 for 10 days before moving to Level 3 for the final 10 days.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Any fellow "shredders" among my readers? I know you're out there; you can't hide. After all, everyone's doing it, right?

13 comments:

Eric's Mommy July 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

I am a fellow shredder. I love it because it is so short but still kicks my butt. I do it in the AM before work.

Samantha July 23, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

Ughh... I was shredding. I got half way through Level 2. I was loving it & feeling so much stronger. BUT then my knees started getting SO sore. At first I just thought it was a strength issue in them, but after awhile it became clear that they were just not happy with me shredding. I had to wrap that up.

I did love it while I was shredding though- nice and quick & I felt super accomplished.

Leen July 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

I'm trying to get back into being a shredder. I've gone through all 3 levels and I have to say, Level 2 is the hardest and my favorite. I hear you on those side lunges with arm raises - it kills!! But I love that it goes by quick and I still feel like I'm doing something! Oh, and the fact that it helped me lose 10lbs! Have fun! :)

Justine July 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

I really want to do it, but I haven't had the extra cash to buy it yet. Keep us updated on how it goes!! :)

The Adventuresome Road to Where? July 23, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

I shredded for about 30 days, I really didn't see results and was super surprised because a friend of mine did in the first week! I did, however, give up my regular routine of running 2-3 miles and weight training a few times a week so I guess my regular routine was better in the end. Good luck to you! A lot of people are successful with shredding!

Mands @ Rhody Life July 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

I'm a shredder!!!

You should take measurements of your body so you can see the difference after the 30 days. It's been quite the journey, although I haven't done it lately because I've been so busy with my move half-way across the country. I hope to get back into it after I move.

Unknown July 23, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

I'm two weeks into it and on level 2. I've been working out in the morning before work 4 days a week. Level 2 is killer! The cardio gets a bit harder and some of the strenth moves are pretty hard too. Oh and the very end with the abs, yike! I'm seeing results though, or at least I feel better! Good luck!! I've heard people don't necessarily lose a ton of weight, just inches and tone up, which is my main goal anyways. I wish I would have done this before swim suit season hit, but never too late I guess.

Melissa July 23, 2009 at 8:34 PM  

I need to get back to shredding. I did take my measurements and lost about 4 inches in 30 days :)

The Jesse July 23, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

i, too, recently jumped on the shredding bandwagon. unfortunately i am not able to do it every.single.day so i dont expect to see amazing results anytime soon - but its a great addition to my running schedule and i hope it helps me jump start my weight loss and get me off my plateau and help to get me into better shape and ive really let exercising go by the wayside the past few months! good luck and hope to see updates posted on your blog!

Gia July 23, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

I should use this as motivation and actually start the program...since I bought the dvd approximately 6 months ago!

Anonymous,  July 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM  

I bought the dvd right around Christmas. I think I did it 3 times and then went back to the gym and forgot all about it. Maybe i'll whip that baby out and try again. I think the hardest thing for me? the pushups. for the life of me, even at my fittest, I cannot do pushups! :(

Mrs. Boom July 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

I Shredded to get in shape for our wedding and stayed with it afterward (4-5 days a week). I have to break from it during this pregnancy but, am looking forward to using it to get back in shape after baby arrives! It may be only 25 minutes but, she does pack a punch in that little time frame.

Lynsey Kaye July 27, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

I have been like you...wanting to start it, but other things keep getting in the way. I plan to start it up someday. I just want to lose a few inches so my jeans fit a little better. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP