Summer Salad

Monday, July 6, 2009

We haven't really had the chance to get back into "the groove" of eating normally since being back from vacation. We've had a lot going on, and I'm afraid to admit that for me, the scale is reflecting that by showing a couple additional pounds. Coming from someone who hates to see the scale budge in the upward direction, even just a little bit, I'm not a happy camper. :(

The other issue is just that it's summer. I find that it's more difficult to meal plan when you have to consider whether a meal is too heavy for the warm weather.

And so I find myself on a quest to get some light and healthy meals into our weekly rotation for summer.

This summer salad is something that I threw together for us on a whim the night after we got back from vacation. Then, yesterday, after our 4th of July indulgences, it was a perfect way to start the road to recovery from a weekend of eating.

The mixture of fruit, vegetables, and protein, all drizzled with a good balsamic dressing makes for a wonderfully light, but filling, meal. The other pro is that it is so easy--especially if you have some leftover grilled chicken already in the fridge.

Summer Salad

Ingredients:
- leafy salad greens (my favorite is romaine, but a "spring salad" mix or baby spinach would work well for this, too)
- 1 apple, cubed
- 6 to 8 strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 small onion, sliced
- grilled chicken pieces, sliced
- 1 tbsp. bacon bits
- shredded cheddar cheese
- balsamic vinaigrette dressing, for drizzling (we buy Ken's Light Balsamic Vinaigrette, which is fantastic!)

Directions:
1. On a plate, arrange a bed of leafy salad greens. Top with apple cubes, sliced strawberries, onions, and grilled chicken pieces.

2. Sprinkle bacon bits, and a little shredded cheddar cheese.

3. Drizzle entire salad with a good balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kate July 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Mmmm, that sounds delicious. I'm already adding the supplies to my grocery list...thanks for the recipe!

Jules,  July 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Hey - love your blog. I know you have a kitchenaid stand mixer. Do you have the artisan or pro? I'm looking into purchasing one and wonder if the additional investment to the pro is worthwhile in the long run. Thanks!

Heather August 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

Jules, I'm sorry I missed your question and am way behind on answering it... but I have the KitchenAid Artisan mixer. It has been fabulous for everything I've used it for, and I've worked it pretty hard! :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP