Splitting Hairs

Friday, July 10, 2009

My hair.

'Tis long.

Very long.

I have a hair appointment on August 5, and I'm considering doing something drastic. Not Demi-Moore-in-GI-Jane drastic, but drastic nonetheless.

The problem is that sometimes, I really love my hair this long. There are generally a few hours toward the end of each day, when it's just the right amount of dirty, and before I get sick of feeling it on my neck and tie it up, that I really love my hair.

But I hate it when I'm washing it.
I hate it when I'm drying it.
I hate it when it's freshly washed.
I hate it when I tuck it behind my ears (makes it look long and stringy).
I hate it when I'm working out, and it keeps falling out of my hair tie because it is so heavy.

As you can see, I spend a lot of time hating it. So I think I want to change it. I thought--maybe I'll donate it. But I looked up the requirements and they want too much hair (at least 8"), and I'm not willing to go that short. And then I realize I'm afraid to cut it anyway.

But then, there's part of me that just wants to make a change. Then there's the issue of, well, if I make the change, what kind of change should I make? I like low-maintenance hair. All I do to my hair currently is wash it, dry it, brush it out. I don't even own a flat or curling iron. Also, I have an issue where I often think the shape of my face makes it look fat, so I have a fear of a haircut that doesn't go with my face. (I know I sound crazy. Just go with it.)

The last time I really cut my hair was in Summer 2006. It was still shoulder-length (like touching my collar bone), but it was short for me. I liked it, but since then, I've grown it out, cut it a little, grown it out, trimmed it, grown it out, cut a few more inches, and grown it out again. *yawn* Bor-ing.

I have four weeks to work up the courage, or four weeks to talk myself out of it, depending on which way I'm leaning at any given moment.

What's a girl to do?

9 comments:

Elise Bass July 10, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

maybe just get a few inches off, have them cut some layers into it and dye it a different color....that way you get that "dramatic effect" but you still get to keep most of your hair. I know just what you mean....I had the same feeling of wanting to change (except I change my hair ALL the time...I dye it a lot) so I had this drastic cut, which looks cute, but I truly miss my long-ish hair. :(

Anonymous,  July 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

8 inches isn't as drastic as it sounds. On your hair, it would probably only be a little above your shoulder blades. I donated my hair a few years ago and trust me, you'll feel great afterwards, even if your hair is a little bit shorter than you'd like. I mean it's hair, you can always grow it back.

Clint & Alicia McLaws July 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

8 inches really isn't too drastic. Mine was probably about 3 inches longer than yours, and I cut it up to just below my shoulders. My stylist layered it a lot (gives it great body and it even naturally curls at the ends so that I don't have to fuss with an iron) and she thinned it out a lot (I've always had tons of hair and it always gives me a bad migraine when it gets to thick and heavy). Good luck! I'm sure you'll look beautiful no matter what you do :)

BTW...I'm Alicia and I found your blog through Road to the Aisle...which I found through Wedding by Color :)

Anonymous,  July 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

I'm in the same boat-thinking of donating mine but no idea what I want done or who to go to!
Nicole

Anonymous,  July 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

I do my hair every 8 weeks. I sport the shorter A line bob and LOVE it. In fact i'm on the total opposite end as you are. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep it this length and still make it work for the wedding.

My vote. It's summer. Sport a new do! Try something different. make look at some "Jenifer Aniston" Styles She always has cute hair. Try a new shade.

Like everyone else said. It's hair. It will grow back if you don't like. But chances are getting all that weight off, and a fresh start will feel amazing.

Cheryl,  July 10, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

I couldn't grow mine long enough to donate! I keep my hair a bit shorter usually, but yea, I definitely couldn't get the length they wanted before I chopped it off. I was wandering in wondering if you had any advice on shipping cupcake bites? I'm not sure that frosting can last that long outside the fridge...and can't really think of a decent substitute. Couldn't find anything on Bakerella, but I'll keep looking. Good luck with the hair! :)

Heather July 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Cheryl--I shipped cupcake bites to family and friends for Christmas. Assuming you're using canned frosting and not anything homemade with butter or milk, I think they'll be fine. I shipped mine in the winter, of course, so if the packages had to sit outside waiting for their recipients to come home from work or something, it wasn't a big deal. You might have issues if you're shipping them to somewhere warm... not really worried about them spoiling, but they will probably melt. Something to think about.

I packed mine up in 1 lb. candy boxes, and then put the boxes in ziploc bags to keep them as fresh as possible. Also, I'd definitely ship them Priority Mail, at the very least.

I assume you saw this post? http://heatherdrive.blogspot.com/2008/12/packing-up-shipping-out.html

Laura July 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

i am having the same problem. my hair is so long and i don't get it cut/colored nearly as often as i should. my husband likes longer hair and so do i. i'm planning on changing my style, adding some long layers, and changing the highlights.

Erin July 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

I found your blog through Road to the Aisle as well, and am just recommending the Ouchless Stay Put hair ties by Goody. My hair is really thick and reaches my tailbone, but they still hold all my hair when I pull it back into a bun at the base of my neck.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP