A Thousand Words

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Yesterday, my internet buddy, LJK-C, posted a link to a photo collection by the Boston Globe that chronicles President Obama's first 167 days in office. Beautiful, poignant photos that I pored over, drinking in every detail--in one image, I even noticed my favorite campaign photo framed on the President's desk. *LOVE*

When I look through these photos, I feel so much pride.

But this post isn't about that. Well, it's not about my pride.

(Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
It's about his.

(I'm referring to the little guy.)

I first saw this photo a few months back, on some random news site or blog, shortly after it was taken. I saw it again while watching NBC's "Inside the Obama White House" special with Brian Williams.

While perusing this photo collection, I came across it for a third time. And I'll tell you... its power isn't lost on me. Every time I see this photo, I am deeply affected by it.

If you don't know the story behind the image... This little boy is the son of a White House staff member. He was at the White House for a visit, and had the chance to meet the President of the United States. As he stood, looking at Obama, he asked the one thing he really wanted to know.

He had recently had his hair cut, and he wanted to know if the President's hair felt like his own. And President Obama, in a way that I think truly demonstrates his character, bent over to let the little guy feel it for himself.

Pardon me while I go grab a tissue.

When I look at this photo, and I read the story, it's about so much more than the haircut.

That little boy--a black little boy--was likely sizing himself up against the President. And for the first time ever in our country's history, he was able to conclude: He looks like me. The color of his skin, and even the texture of his hair.

When I think about how that 4-year-old boy represents thousands and thousands of children who can now draw the same comparisons--it touches my heart.

For Obama, bending over and letting the boy feel the top of his head was a simple gesture. For the little boy, it was so much more than that. As a small child, he may not fully understand, but I think that some day, he will.

And seriously, now... what a beautiful moment to have caught on film.

That's right; I love it so much, I wanted you to see it twice. ;)

Oh, and can I just say... to be the Obama White House photographer? DREAM JOB. You know, if I had the talent.

Which I don't.

Instead, I'll live vicariously through Mr. Souza's photographs...

5 comments:

Laura July 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

thanks for sharing this. it really makes you think about things.

Melissa July 8, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Thank you for that link :) Another moment that melts my heart is when he was doing a speech and the guy brought his daughter. She missed school to be there, so Obama asked her name and wrote the little girl a note for missing class. :)

Mrs. G July 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

This is one of my favorite photos as well.

Kate July 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

I LOVE this photo. L.O.V.E. Just shows you exactly what kind of man he is.

Gia July 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

I love this photo, and you describe what is possibly going through the little boy's mind so eloquently. Thank you for this. In a time of such difficulty in our country, this warms my heart.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP